• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Schools Under Pressure to Spare the Rod Forever

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was shocked to find out in this story today that corporal punishment is active in 20 states:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/28/education/30paddle.html?_r=2&hp

Now I know that we had a topic not to long ago about Smacking your kids, so I don't want to get in to that in this discussion. I was wondering what were your thoughts on teachers/principles using a paddle on your children if they get in trouble?

Are you for it or against it?

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
It works better than detention, i guess.

I dunno, i think if anyone on here is old enough to remember those days they may be all for it; but the newer generation, who don't like the thought of of spanking their own kids, probably won't like it.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
Wow, my mind is blown. A friend and I were discussing just a few days ago how antiquated and ignorant school corporal punishment seems to us now as we look back on it, with both of us under the assumption that it had long been eradicated in the entire US.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Wow, my mind is blown. A friend and I were discussing just a few days ago how antiquated and ignorant school corporal punishment seems to us now as we look back on it, with both of us under the assumption that it had long been eradicated in the entire US.
This. I was horrified when I was thinking about that the other day, that kids used to get paddled when I was in junior high. wtf? I'd never allow another person to hurt my kid

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
What Tuck said.

I disagree with hitting kids in general, but it's one thing to discuss a swat on the behind from a parent and another completely to talk about a non family member thinking that they can make the call to use corporal punishment.

To me, it's wrong in all cases; this is especially wrong, though.

I didn't have time to read the article; is it just that it's legal in these states or are there documented cases of it actively being used?

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I don't get what the big deal is. I don't have a problem with this. I got swats a couple of times in school. When that happened it meant I was in trouble at home.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I don't get what the big deal is. I don't have a problem with this. I got swats a couple of times in school. When that happened it meant I was in trouble at home.
You wouldn't have a problem with a teacher or a principal hitting one of your daughters?

I would.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
You wouldn't have a problem with a teacher or a principal hitting one of your daughters?

I would.
I don't have a problem with swats. Teachers have enough problems with students with discipline problems and loading some kids up on Ritalin.

I had swats and think they should continue.
------
You have to remember, generally speaking teachers don't give swats for shits and giggles. By the time it gets to that point, the child has had discipline problems and it never gets addressed.

Last edited:

qweerblue

Registered Member
Yeah, I think Tuck hit it right on the ... :-/

Uh, Tuck said it perfectly.

I was watching a documentary the other night about political dissidence, and a guy in the film said something about how we have such a complicated relationship with violence in the US that any violence that is not supported by the state--such as war or the death penalty, for instance--is instantly seen as criminal or psychotic. That's not exactly what he said, and even his original statement is somewhat debatable, but this discussion here about corporal punishment in schools reminded me of his words. How is it that we expect to raise children who can negotiate disagreement without resorting to violence when we ourselves embrace violence in so many forms?

There were paddlings in my schools all the way from elementary up through high school (yes, I am old, and I graduated in '86), and most of us kids were aware of the sadistic glee that administrators seemed to derive from wielding their paddles. Hell, the paddles were often colorfully painted and drilled with holes to actually improve velocity and leave welts, and some of them even had names--my ass was decorated by "The Enforcer", "Bessie", and "The Punisher". And I'll tell you this--being made to bend over and hold onto the edge of a desk while an adult hovered behind me with a paddle was just as disturbing as the punishment itself.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I don't have a problem with swats. Teachers have enough problems with students with discipline problems and loading some kids up on Ritalin.

I had swats and think they should continue.
------
You have to remember, generally speaking teachers don't give swats for shits and giggles. By the time it gets to that point, the child has had discipline problems and it never gets addressed.
I understand that, but I don't think that corporal punishment is the best way to address the problems. I think it would only add to it.