• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

School - What should & shouldn't be compulsory?

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I was just reading an article on the BBC News site about chess becoming compulsory Armenia the idea being that people who are brought up playing chess can be helped in other ways that they may not in another way.

Now this may be a brilliant idea, there is no doubt that it could build a child's confidence in a way that other things may not but that is not what I want to discuss. What I do want to discuss is should certain things be made compulsory in schools? Should children be made to learn world politics and foreign languages or should they be learning subjects such as brick laying & plumbing etc? Should that be kept purely for college? I did not learn IT in secondary school but was lucky to go to a college that ran IT courses and it has got me onto the career path I am now on but I think had I been given IT lessons in school I might have cared more about my subjects.

What do you think? Do things need to change? Do you have kids in school where you think "why are they learning this rubbish?", if you are from outside of the UK how does the school system work where you liive?

StormyClouds

Registered Member
I dont understand why children are forced to learn foreign language, they only need this if they want to work where its needed. Why not teach them something useful, RE (religious education) i thought was the most boring subject ever, as im not religious but others may find it useful, we had no choice in the matter,.

plumbing and basic household tasks could be taught instead, im pretty sure loads of people don't know how to change a fuse or put a plug on.

some sort of animal care wouldnt be so bad either, maybe the kids wont grow up thinking they can abuse or harm pets/animals. I know the school down the road has a reptile and invert club after school.

i could go on and on with suggestions but i wont.

:lol:

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
I am on the same topic as StormyClouds regarding the foreign language in education systems. Australia is a very multi-cultural country and the fact that they teacher Italian, German, Greek and some other languages in school is a bit of stupid as previously mentioned, it's a multi-cultural country, not everyone in Australia knows English, mostly the new immigrants. Their main priority should be teaching English over any other language.

I would like to see the European countries develop the school uniform because in the world we live now, anyone can walk into the school and do something unpredictable. It gives safety to the school and represents the school as well.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
I think languages should be saved for GCSE's; as far as i can remember we learnt the same thing in French every year anyway.

I think RE would be more interesting if they learnt about less common religions from other countries (China, Korea and Japan), or if they brought Paganism into the curriculum.

I agree with Stormy about learning more about animals.

Really, i think teachers should come up with different ways of teaching and inspiring students; if it's a nice day out - teach outside! Mix drama with Eng Lit, use card games to teach maths. Learning from a text book is boring, no wonder kids aren't interested :lol:

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I think RE would be more interesting if they learnt about less common religions from other countries (China, Korea and Japan), or if they brought Paganism into the curriculum.
I would actually pay to be in a meeting when it was announced that things like Paganism were going to be included in a school education! As progressive as we are I think there would still be a lot of people who would protest this as devil worship. I also think history is one that should be looked into more. All I remember learning was about World War 1 and how the Germans were not the nicest people on the planet but we never really learnt why.

I remember having a conversation with someone about how we should see it from another’s point of view after all we were not fighting Hitler we were fighting other men and women who were just being told what to do.

I know this might sound controversial and I don't mean to stir anything up and sound pro-nazi but I have always believe from a war point of view if you don't learn about both sides you can't really judge.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
I would actually pay to be in a meeting when it was announced that things like Paganism were going to be included in a school education! As progressive as we are I think there would still be a lot of people who would protest this as devil worship. I also think history is one that should be looked into more. All I remember learning was about World War 1 and how the Germans were not the nicest people on the planet but we never really learnt why.

I remember having a conversation with someone about how we should see it from another’s point of view after all we were not fighting Hitler we were fighting other men and women who were just being told what to do.

I know this might sound controversial and I don't mean to stir anything up and sound pro-nazi but I have always believe from a war point of view if you don't learn about both sides you can't really judge.
I think that's the reason it should be included, to set the record straight. RE lessons conveniently leave out the fact that Christian holidays are actually Pagan and that Christian's slaughtered Pagan's until they converted :dunno: I think it's about time everyone knew the truth about everything with religion.

I like your history idea; all we learnt was that Hitler was a beaten soldier from the first war who turned into a loon :lol: I don't think historians knew much about his way of thinking anyway, so that might be difficult to teach.

Interested

Registered Member
I dont understand why children are forced to learn foreign language, they only need this if they want to work where its needed. Why not teach them something useful, RE (religious education) i thought was the most boring subject ever, as im not religious but others may find it useful, we had no choice in the matter,.

plumbing and basic household tasks could be taught instead, im pretty sure loads of people don't know how to change a fuse or put a plug on.

some sort of animal care wouldnt be so bad either, maybe the kids wont grow up thinking they can abuse or harm pets/animals. I know the school down the road has a reptile and invert club after school.

i could go on and on with suggestions but i wont.

:lol:
I don't agree with learning foreign languages being useless. It doesn't only teach the language, it trains the brain... Also, the more languages one knows, the easier it is to learn more. I think at the very least one foreign language should be compulsory (with a decent choice of different languages). Also, when one is a child, they might not be able to make the most reasonable and beneficial choice, and are more than likely to ignore (or not even be able to comprehend the fact) that languages are easiest to learn at young age.

Beside the obvious ones, I think ethics should be one of the compulsory subjects too. This is based on what I see every day... The majority do not know even the basic table or discussion manners.

Nicola

Registered Member
One thing I really believe should be compulsory is Politics. When you reach a certain age you are given the power of the vote, and I think that people should be educated in politics so they can use their vote in their best interests.
Politics effects everyone in every walk of life in every country, so I think it's important for the citizens of a 'democratic' country to be given the tools with which to make their decisions.

stripes

Registered Member
In my opinion, nothing should be 'compulsory'. My opinion with regards to education is very relaxed.

I believe we should have educational centres teaching as many things as possible at a number of different levels. Nobody should have to go, but anyone who chooses to can attend one, or as many, classes as they'd like. I'd also not set age limits. In my opinion, there should be nothing unusual, in my ideal education centres, about a seven year old learning cake-making alongside an eighty-seven year old, or a five year old taking a course in mechanics and working with a fifty year old.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Whilst I applaud the openness of a society stripes I think the ideals are somewhat unrealistic. I think people should go to some kind of education otherwise people will just never learn anything, then again it is is up to the parents to try to set a good example. I think it works both ways as does the argument. If kids do not want to learn they will not learn and can make life hard for those to learn but if they are told they can essentially do what they want things will crumble very quickly.

Last edited: