School lunch programs?

Discussion in 'School' started by dDave, Sep 10, 2008.

1. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

Some of you may know that I am completely against school lunches, I mean it's ok that they sell them to other kids, but I refuse to buy them, I'd rather make my own lunch.

At my school if you want to buy a lunch it costs $2.15 which is insane considering the food that you get, the food is bad and I mean real bad, it wouldn't be all that bad if they hadn't attempted to make it healthy food because of some health issues going on across the country due to school lunch programs, but yeah they didn't do a good job making it healthy all that they managed to do was make it taste worse (and cost more) so it feels like it's healthier.

What are your views on your school lunch program?

2. viLky

viLky ykLiv

When I was in school I actually enjoyed the school lunches. In high school they gave us many options such as grilled hotdogs and grilled burgers. There was also a place where you could go inside and purchase a lunch, but I was satisfied with the hotdogs and burgers. Yummy! It was like BBQing every day.

For the health part, I agree that they should have more healthy options, although I doubt any of the kids would choose the healthy option over the not so healthy one.

3. Syndicate

Syndicate Chirp Chirp

My school ran its canteen like a business. They needed the 'revenue' for other benefits (I suspect the headmaster built a throne). Therefore, all they worried about were sales. Nothing sells faster than junk food in a kids area. Any healthy options were a gesture only.

I believe it's more a case of parents needing to feed their children a healthy diet from the start and try build a distaste for junk food. Easier said than done, though. The schools could certainly do their part, as lunch is a big meal and at a young age, can help influence eating habits. I just wonder how many schools believe in the same purpose for the canteen as mine did.

4. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

Why'd you put this in GD?

My girl's school offers healthy lunch alternatives including a salad bar. I only let them buy once a week though because like you said the cost is too much, especially x2 for a week.

5. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

My school lunches weren't bad. I think it helps with the kids who don't have time to bring their lunch to school. As long as you stick to the school menu, you can keep it cheap, which is what I normally did. The stuff there is no different then the generic stuff you buy at the store.

6. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

How can a kid not have time? Isn't it the parents responsibility to make sure their children are fed?

7. pro2A

My parents gave me the money for my school lunches. They were both up and gone to work (Washington DC) before I was even up for school.

Once a kid gets to middle school or high school, they can take it upon themselves to make their lunch or make sure they get money from their parents.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  8. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

We had boxed or bagged lunches the entire time I was going to school. However, when I finally got a job in high school I bought my lunches and in my senior year without fail my days worth of food at the school consisted of a Dr. Pepper and peanut butter cookies for breakfast, a Dr. Pepper, Mr. Goodbar and Cheetos for lunch, and then on the way out I'd get another Dr. Pepper and maybe a candy stick for the bus ride home.

9. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

I'm sorry Pro, but I disagree. I have two in middle school and make their sandwiches the night before and let them pack their snacks.
    Regardless of whether I'm there in the mornings or not, my kids come before my job until they are graduated from high school.

10. pro2A

Not to be an ass, but they have to grow up sometime. My parents made me pretty self sufficient by age 14. If I needed help, all I had to do was ask, but they would not do it for me.