School Fees

Msbabedoll

Registered Member
Ok Kayla had her first day back to school yesterday. Of course she comes home with a TON of paper work for me to fill out. What I really dont get is WHY are the dang fees so high? We are paying 20 bucks for her computer class, 70 bucks for band, 25 for basketball, 20 for some other class! MAN! By the time we buy school clothes, school supplies and pay fees we are out almost 700 bucks!

On a brighter note her home room teacher sent home a letter telling all about how the grades and looks forward to teaching our child and at the bottom asks you to write something you would like her to know about your child. I liked that, gives you a chance to let her know your kid a little better.

So anyone else got start of school gripes?

yooperchick

Registered Member
Wow! Your schools start early! Ours here do not start until closer to Labor Day. My son will be 4 in Nov. and went to PreSchool last year (2 - 1/2 days a week) - the bus would come by and pick him up. This year he will go 4 - 1/2 days a week. It hasn't cost us anything (besides just the normal backpack, school clothes, etc.). The area where I live, it is relatively low income so that may be why. It's a beautiful place with VERY low crime - with very few good-paying jobs. It's a trade-off.

As for the fees you are paying...holy whah! It sounds like college fees! :(

Msbabedoll

Registered Member
Well since we moved she is going to a city school now and its a very good school system. They get two sets of books one to keep at school and one to keep at home so they dont have to lug books everyday. So I guess it's worth the fees. The school she went to before her daddy died was a county school and the fees were much lower but it was no where near as good a school as this one.

iggyshotthebear

Registered Member
Me. I would like to gripe please...

First of all, they sent us home a list a mile long as a blanket "All First Graders Need This" and at the bottom it says "Additional supply list will be provided by the teacher". It cost us 70 bucks for the basics. On her list it said 4 packs of crayola 16 count crayons... Well the 16 count was 97cents and the 24 count was 25 cents... wanna guess which one she went to school with?! Plus, we also have to pay a 25 dollar supply FEE. To cover workbooks and craft activities over the school year. So lets just say we are already down 100 for that...

THEN, on top of all that, we have to buy uniforms. Pants are 15 dollars a piece (Pants, shorts, skorts, skirts) and shirts are 6.97 a piece. And for winter, any jacket she wears has to be uniform, those are like 45 a piece. It's absolutely insane if you dont want to do laundry every freakin night!

I also had a stack of forms to fill out, lunch forms, registration forms (which is silly because I just registered her last year), bus forms, teacher get to know your child form, school nurse forms... I feel like Ive signed my life away (or Chrysta's...?) Ohhhh and the corporal punishment form too...

They have 5 and 6 year olds signing the drug policy. It's a page long letter explaining the consequences if a child brings any type of drug to school whether it be RX or illegal. Chrysta didnt have a clue what she was signing even though I read it to her over and over ... I finally said "Chrsyta are you gonna take drugs?" She said no... I said ok sign this! If she didnt sign, she wouldnt be able to attend school!!!

How crazy is this anymore, wth do taxes go for again?

Julie

Registered Member
superior dreams said:
Wow! Your schools start early! Ours here do not start until closer to Labor Day.
Yeah...see, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was JUST having this discussion with someone earlier! My birthday is 8-25 & when I was a kid growing up (Chicago area) we NEVER started school before my birthday. It was always after.
Now I see everyone posting on here about their kids starting school now & down here in Orlando area schools have started too!
Makes me wanna go back up Nort! Whatever happened to Summer vacation?

iggyshotthebear

Registered Member
Julie,
I can clearly remember summer months being a LONG 3 months. We used to get out in EARLY June and not go back til late August. Chrysta got out May 26th of last year and went back August 8th. And to think that Florida wants to go to year round schooling *shudders* I think kids need that break mentally. We've been doing it this way for a long time and it should stay that way. What ain't broken dont need fixin' !

Msbabedoll

Registered Member
They can't stand to leave things alone! The officials need to fired! As for siging TONS of paper work, I told kayla last night I felt like I was taking out a loan! She just handed me papers and said SIGN HERE lol......she too had to sign the drug policy (well her AND me) also this brings up something that happened a few years ago

I was off on maternaty leave after having paxton and I get a call from the school early that morning (which scared me to death!) I find out MY daughter is in some trouble and me AND james have to go down there. We get down there and find out that Kayla and another girl had written a letter to anothger girl on the bus and threated to "beat her @ss" (exact words and NO she didn not get that from me **lookin around innocent) anyway, they want to suspend her for a day because it is a threat and that is the law when one child threatens another child is they get suspended from school! UGH! Kayla learned her lesson on that, but I wonder if it was REALLY neccesarry to do this she had never been in trouble before! And its almost like being sent to prison, when she signed up for this new school it asked had she ever been susupended before and for what! LOL (rolling eyes)

Julie

Registered Member
WOW! You guys with your enrollment stories on here! You're making me wonder how it's gonna be in another 4-5 years when I gotta send mine off for the first time!

Msbabedoll

Registered Member
I had to buy Paxton a new kinder mat for pre school and he was SO excited about taking it with him this monring! Would be nice to get so excited over something so frivulous again wouldn't it? I was talking to Ares a few days ago and she went on and on about how cute Paxton sounded with his little southern three year old voice. :D He's my baby!

Nanner

Registered Member
tonyspoker said:
WOW! You guys with your enrollment stories on here! You're making me wonder how it's gonna be in another 4-5 years when I gotta send mine off for the first time!

I don't even want to think about it! By then we'll probably have to provide our own desks!

I've read these lists for various schools and grades around here. (the ones found in stores like Walmart that tell what your kid needs to bring) WE, the parents, supply everything from the usual basics (colors, glue etc) to red pens for the teacher, tissue and a couple of other things that really do make you wonder.....what the hell am I paying taxes for? WE have to supply teachers with pens??????

As far as I know no kids back to school here yet....some go a little before the holiday and I think a lot go the Tues after. Kinda weird if you think about it....there is a certain amount of days they HAVE to be in school and being "up nort" we have snow days....you'd think we'd be the ones starting early just incase?

Msbabedoll said:
I had to buy Paxton a new kinder mat for pre school and he was SO excited about taking it with him this monring! Would be nice to get so excited over something so frivulous again wouldn't it? I was talking to Ares a few days ago and she went on and on about how cute Paxton sounded with his little southern three year old voice. :D He's my baby!

Awwwww yeah the sweet and innocent!

LOL my daughter was made in Kentucky and I actually had someone (who obviously wasn't thinking when they asked this....they really aren't a stupid person :)) wonder if she'd have a southern accent when she started to talk. Ummmmmmmm o....k......

HI Ares!

Last edited: