School = Education?

Discussion in 'School' started by OpenMind, May 7, 2009.

1. OpenMind

OpenMind Registered Member

I'm not sure if this is the right place to write about such subject, but here goes. It is just a simple question.

Is school (or going to school..) the best place to get an education or learn? Specially nowdays where it seems the educational system is more of a business rather than what it is really supposed to be.

Maybe it's just me, but I've noticed how some teachers, in several schools, give a class just because.. I mean, they do it with no, lets say, feeling or intention of really opening your eyes to a world full of wonders and endless possibilities.

Like, if it were up to me, 70% of school activities would consist of field-trips and outdoor recreation. The other 30% would include the basics like math, literature, civics, etc.

I believe we've become used to a system which, the way I see it, isn't really providing the best way of learning and the opportunity to experience certain things ourselves.

I'm someone who usually sees things in the big picture.
    Is life really all about doing well in school, in order to get into a good university/college, get a good job (one that you are "happy" with), get married, have a couple of children and die knowing you lived a good life?
    For some, that is right, and I have nothing against it since you're in control of your own life and you may do as you please.
    But to me, that can't be right.

There are people who want to be succesful and live well (economically and socially). What happens to the people who don't do well in school? Some people would say it was because they weren't responsible enough, or didn't apply themselves or focus on their work in order to succesfully complete their tasks. And it kills me how the "system" automatically shuts so many doors for you the moment they see you failed in school. "Failed" in general, as in not doing well and having trouble making your way throught it all.

I always say, and I know I'm not the only one, that there is more to life than a grade. Parents, teachers, even friends sometimes, have certain expectations from you, and when you don't achieve those goals, in most cases, in the eyes of society, you've failed.. when the truth is you havn't.
    Who's to say you can't succed in life even if you fail in school?
    Who's to say you wont get a good job or a happy family?
    How can someone expect you to be great in something you are clearly not meant to do well in?

We are all the same in nature, but we're all different in preferences and aptitudes.

2. snelling101

snelling101 Registered Member

I completely agree.

the modern education system that we have, installs uniformity into students, in the same way that factories create the same piece of equipment over and over again. Schools attempt to force us into a mold, or a pre-described notion of what we should or need to do.

Not everyone is going to be a math genius, that's the reason that we have a world, if everyone's strengths were the same as everyone else's then we would never get anything done...

"If you find a job that you enjoy, you never work a day in your life" - some poster in my 8th grade english classroom.

I think this quote holds true, not everyone is going to lead the next multibillion dollar cooperation, but not everyone is going to paint the next great painting

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Registered Member

How else would you have it. Schools can't taylor a specific education regime for each individual student, they just can't.

And schools don't force into a mold that is inexpandable. They put us into a mold, yes, but its a mold that gives us the opportunity to grow as people, on our own. If we have all the growth and well being possibilities spoon fed to us how are we going to live as individuals.

I just went through school and none of what you're saying holds true to me.

4. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

I think this depends specifically on what you mean by education. For societal norms and behaviour, sure, school is very good for socialization and basically learning what is acceptable in the modern society.

Sadly this is true - but it's not because the educational system itself chooses to be; more that today's economy demands it. Financial gain is everything in today's world. If a school can't be financially independant it gets shut down. Why? Not because they choose to, but because the education system simply can't afford to keep it open.

It's not just education related. It's more to do with the person than the system really. Like, how many people do you think see it as a job, as opposed to a way to actually change the lives of young people? Because, that is what they are doing. I don't think enough people realize that what happens during school time will affect the rest of your life.

It's like the medical system, for instance. Nurses, doctors, even receptionists. They all need to realize that, essentially, customer service is a primary requirement. If they can't talk and approach someone, they aren't doing their job properly. Every time I've been to a hospital I've seen staff who quite simply, couldn't give a damn about the actual patients. To them, it's nothing but walk in, do the job, walk out, collect the paycheck, and that's simply wrong.

I think what you maybe don't realize, is that there simply isn't enough funding to make what you deem 'proper behaviour' for a school possible. There's barely enough money to run the system, let alone provide intimate, one on one reactionary services. There are too many people to have individual cases, which is why everyone has to be grouped en masse.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  5. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Education is broad. We can continue to be educated even if you fail in school. School is just one of the institutions to formally educate people. Several famous people, who seem to have found success in their business and life, didn't necessarily have an educational degree (e.g. Bill Gates). I personally know of people who are in the same boat, so it doesn't only happen to celebrities. School is supposed to just open more opportunities in life for you when you graduate, but it's not supposed to close the doors for you when you don't.

6. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

no. school is not equal to education.
    in school you learn about your profession, but not to become a better human being.(that's how it usually goes though there are exceptions as in everything).
    nowadays schools are more of a business than education people.
    teacher just come and go, explain the lesson and disappear. it's like they only fulfill their duty.
    Family is mostly, the place you get your education...., even friendship and the society you live in.

7. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

The way it was for me at school the teacher used to spend ten/fifteen minutes explaining stuff and then we'd be left to do work out of text books.

And those were the GOOD classes.

8. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

I think maybe you're mistaking education for experience. The two are not the same.

9. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

i don't know in what meaning you guys use the word "education" in your language.
    you use it in the meaning of what a person becomes throughout life? what he learns from it? if he learns to become a better person and behave through his family and friends?
    or what he learns from his profession?

i think education includes all these.
    when i said a better human being, i meant to include they way u've become by time, the way your character changes...from what you learn by you friends and family.
    it also encludes what you get from your profession, job etc.

that's how i see it. but one thing's for sure, you can't get all these from school. u just get a part of it.

10. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

In English, education is mainly used in regards to learning a skill or a subject. It has other uses as well, when speaking about a good upbringing for instance. But most of the time, it's used in the former sense.

The words we tend to use for what you're describing are possibly "wisdom" and "experience".