schadenfreude

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ysabel, Aug 4, 2008.

1. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Apparently, only the Germans could come up with a word for it. :p

At first I thought it sounds cruel but it most likely happens more than we are willing to admit. :)

My friend does this on purpose. When he's feeling down, he'd go to youtube fail blog and he'd feel better after seeing videos of people less fortunate than he is. :lol:

Although I don't wish it for others, I must admit that when I see some who are in a worse position than I am, I feel better about my life and my problems seem more trivial. :nod:

MenInTights likes this.

2. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

Unless you are one of my cloes friends, or someone I care about your misfortune does put my life in perspective. Thats just how it is. And yes I laugh. :)

3. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

It does make you feel better in some respect knowing that your life is better than another, but I don't think we should feel joy that another person's suffering.

But those who post the videos are not ashamed of people seeing their misfortunes, otherwise they wouldn't do it.

4. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Sometimes, that's part of the misfortune...when they're not even aware they fail and are even proud. :)

5. Sim

Sim Registered Member

As we are on the topic: I haven't seen anything that funny in quite a while.

YouTube - afro ninja

6. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Exactly the type of videos my friend would watch. :nod:

7. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

I knew there had to be a word for it.

This is exactly the kind of thing that I find funnier than anything else. Gets me laughing harder, longer, and more powerfully. Nothing beats other peoples misfortune.

8. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

anyone who has ever been a stepmom to a kid with a crazy mother knows exactly what schadenfreude is all about.

:-/

9. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Shadenfreude . . . doesn't that translate into English as "Darwin Award"?