• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Scary stuff (CLL)

shelgarr

Registered Member
It's chronic lymphocytic leukemia. My one and only sibling, a sister (age 52) received confirmation yesterday that she has it. The white blood cell call lymphocytes are multiplying and dysfunctional because they are immature. Causes are not completely known except for it has been linked to agent orange and farmers because of their exposure to pesticides. Oddly, when she and I lived on a AFB we used to run behind the truck as it drove down our street spraying pesticide clouds into the air. (oye). For now my sis has no symptoms. There are things that can happen to the RBC (anemia) and platelets (immunities), liver, spleen, and lymph glands that could make her ill. She is in Stage 0 so that is good. Although it's really playing with her head that she has cancer. Understandably so. Going forward she gets blood work every 3 months. Her life style will not change; she loves loves loves to travel and has a trip to Kilamanjaro (sp?) later in the summer and plays soccer. It's known that there are many cases where people live 15 years or more with it. There is not cure and is typically difficult to treat. Once it reaches Stage 1 or there are symptoms she can have chemotherapy. The average life span if one has to have treatment is 8 years. We are all just processing this.

shelgarr

Registered Member
Jeanie...she travels and as part of that gets immunizations and as part of that get's regular physical exams. They noted the high WBC count result in her laboratory work.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
are you going to be tested now?

are the stages based on lymphocyte counts?

Dabs

Registered Member
Sorry to hear about this Shel, but I wish her and your entire family all the best. You all will be in my thoughts and prayers.

shelgarr

Registered Member
Thanks Dabs.

Jeanie....no, I won't be tested. Yes stages are based on counts (she is at 13K, and Stage one is 15K), and symptoms too.