• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Scared of lightning?

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I thought about this after the huge storms last night. We never had storms in the summer until recently and now summer is almost like a monsoon season here. Cloud-to-ground lightning was so close it shook the house but I stayed on the covered part of the deck watching the storms.
There's been tons of lightning strikes in the EU too.
71 injured by lightning strikes at German rock festival as storms continue to batter Europe

Also, anyone above the treeline in the mountains is a serious target for lightning too.
So how about you? Do you ever get scared by storms and lightning? .

Konshentz

Konshentz
I'm not a fan of storms or lightning, but I don't think I'm scared of them. I just dislike when they knock out power or the internet... that's when I really start to hate them. Haha.

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Also, anyone above the treeline in the mountains is a serious target for lightning too.
I've done a lot of hiking above treeline in the Rockies and lightning is the one thing that absolutely terrifies me. Smart hikers know not to be up on exposed summits or ridgelines in the afternoon when thunderstorms are almost a daily occurrence, but mountain weather is unpredictable and can catch you off guard. I've been lucky so far.

When I'm not up in the mountains, lightning doesn't concern me at all and I enjoy watching big storms.

Crypticshock

Registered Member
We've been having T&L storms about 75-80% of the time lately. Just a typical summer storm in Alberta. Infact, it's been going on for the last hour. Last night's showcase was a little electric. We had one storm last week that was rather crazy - the thunder was so good damned loud. You could feel things shake.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm concerned about lightning when its close and its a strong storm. Other than that I rather enjoy a good thunderstorm especially at bed time. As long as the electric doesn't go off.

I had lightning hit the ground about 30 foot from me before while in my car sitting in the driveway now that scared me.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I've never really been scared of lightning but I do keep a healthy respect for it - I just practice caution in those conditions and otherwise don't worry much. Living in the midwest we get a lot of storms so it's just something I'm used to I suppose.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Not scared of lightning but not a fan either. 'Cause this means I constantly have to keep my little dog in my arms for the whole duration of the storm because he's shaking uncontrollably.

However, my cousin absolutely adores lightning and storms. I literally saw her one time grab a big bowl of popcorn, sit down in her living room and watch the storm.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Not scared of them, but definitely don't like walking outside when there's lightning. I know of someone that got struck by lightning and died and that's always been on the back of my mind when I see some.