• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

SC Justice Antonin Scalia found dead

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Racism? You'd be on to something if Schumer wasn't a white male or had said anything about the way Roberts or Alito look.

Other than that, great point.
They are talking about their policies not the color of their skin. Again media tries to make something out of nothing.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Before anyone complains about the republicans blocking any Obama appointments too much just remember the dems have a history of doing this themselves.

Democrats Will Be Fighting the Ghost of Robert Bork This Year

If the republicans were so racist why did they appoint Clarence Thomas. Its all about if they are conservative or liberal not skin color.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Even some of the Republican Senators voted against Robert Bork. The decision was not split entirely down party lines. There may have been a smear campaign, but denying his confirmation was justified.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Before anyone complains about the republicans blocking any Obama appointments too much just remember the dems have a history of doing this themselves.

Democrats Will Be Fighting the Ghost of Robert Bork This Year

If the republicans were so racist why did they appoint Clarence Thomas. Its all about if they are conservative or liberal not skin color.
Exactly. The Senate was led by Democrats, there were 54 of them. Only 2 Democrats, David Boren of Oklahoma and Ernest Hollings of South Carolina voted Yes. Only 5 out of the 46 Republicans voted No. It wasn't literally down party lines, but you would be hard pressed to find many votes strictly down party lines. It was as partisan as they come.

The smear campaign was ugly and disgusting. I honestly cannot think of anyone with a better legal mind than Bork. Ginsburg and Scalia are close, but there wasn't anyone more qualified in my opinion.

Whoever Obama nominates will most likely not get the same treatment, but it's disingenuous for the Left to cry foul after the way they treated Bork, after then Senator Obama joined the attempted filibuster of Alito, and Se. Schumer wanting to stop any Bush SCOTUS appointee 18 months left in his presidency (he didn't make any, but Schumer wanted any potential appointee blocked anyway).

In regards to Scalia, I was saddened by his passing. He was a great legal mind and a good guy. My condolences to his family and may he rest in peace.

Edit: by the way, you are exactly right about philosophy. When they say "look" they aren't referring to wanting a 79 year old, mildly obese Italian guy to replace Scalia, they are referring to his philosophies. They are referring to the nominees written opinions and dissents. Race has nothing to do with it. It's why the cries of racism are narrow minded.

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Obama will not be attending Scalia's funeral, which is today, yet he can visit a Mosque. I don't understand that at all.

Obama to skip Scalia's funeral

Mourners pay respects to late Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia

There is a rumor he is going to play golf, this guy didn't exactly deny it.

Obama Will Not Attend Scalia's Funeral
From your first link:

In spite of the criticism, people close to the Scalia family said Obama was making the right choice. "I wouldn't have expected President Obama to attend the funeral Mass, and I see no reason to fault him for not attending," said Ed Whelan, a former Scalia clerk who now heads the Ethics and Public Policy Center. "The ceremony at the Supreme Court seems the most apt opportunity for the president to pay his respects, but he obviously might have severe competing demands on his time."