• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Save the earth, kill a camel?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
You think that's bad? We once did a kangaroo cull. Our own national animal!

Also your site sucks. It won't let me read the article unless I'm registered.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I'm an animal lover myself but unfortunately I see sense in this. Not just for global warming but for our very own native animals. Australia has some of the most unique species of animal on the planet because we are just one big island. Most of our native animals cannot be found in the wild anywhere else in the world.

Unfortunately though the stupid humans who originally colonised the country thought it would be a good idea to bring a bunch of animals. Now we have wild camels, feral goats, feral cats, foxes, rabbits, cane toads etc. All introduced species and all pests who threaten the existence of our native animals each and everyday.

It's not the animals fault of course, it didn't ask to be brought here by idiotic people all those years ago and it's sad that we have to cull them. But bringing an end to wild camels in the outback could be a really positive step for our own precious native wildlife.

That's a positive outcome anyway... as far as being big greenhouse gas emitters I think we should look to our cars and factories before we start blaming the wildlife.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Yes, I understand about invasive species. That is a problem. We have it here with swans and Asian carp. But to kill animals for carbon credits? What is next, population control?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Yeah it's weird to kill them because of the greenhouse effect, but if it was culling them because they are a threatening introduced species then I would understand. I've actually studied it before and this method can be successful. I don't remember exactly where it was but there was an island with an infestation of introduced goats somewhere and they culled every single one of them by the same method (shooting from helicopter). It's terrible of course and they don't deserve it but it's one of the most successful cases of eradicating a problem species. I only wish we could do that here with ALL of our problem animals. But eliminating camels at least will do a lot of good for our native wildlife.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
The shameful thing about it is trying to relate it to global warming and use that as a made up way of making money off it. I could understand the justification of an invasive species and they should try to find a use for all the animal products, the hide, bones, meat etc. But to try and pass it off as if it is helping the climate is just silly. To use it as trade cheapens life.