Sausage and Bean Casserole

Discussion in 'Food & Beverage' started by Saffy, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Saffy

Saffy Registered Member

Sausage and Bean Casserole

8 sausages ( i think the original recipe called for Italian Sausages but i just use any, cumberland, speciality, i used sicilian last time:D)
    3 tbsp olive oil
    1 large onion chopped
    2 garlic cloves chopped or crushed
    1 green pepper de seeded and sliced
    8 oz fresh tomatoes skinned and chopped* or 14oz can of chopped tomatoes
    2 tbsp sun dried tomato paste( i have been known to use tomatoe puree)
    14oz can of cannelinni beans, drained.

*tip: to skin tomatoes easily,cut a cross shape in the top and immerse them in a bowl of boiling water for a good ten minutes first.

Prick the sausages all over with a fork and cook them in two tablespoons of the sunflower oil in a large heavy based frying pan for around ten to fifteen minutes turning frequently until evenly browned and cooked through.
    meanwhile in a large pan heat the remaining oil then add the onion, garlic and green pepper, cook for around 5 mins till soft. Add the tomatoes and let simmer for another 5 mins or so stirring occasionally. Stir in the tomato paste, cannelinni beans and add the sausages, then cook for another 5 mins. Add a few tablespoons of water if the mixture becomes too dry or even another small tin of tomatoes.
    serve with mashed potatoes:D

Attached Files:

2. RJ-Cool

RJ-Cool "Expect the unexpected"

Oh yeah! Chef Saffy is at it again! I love sausages.....this recipe is sure to be a delight! Thanks. ;)

3. Saffy

Saffy Registered Member

you are very welcome RJ, hope you enjoy it:D