• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Saudi oil supply

JaneSmith

Registered Member
Today on the news I saw a suggestion that the Saudi oil reserve is overstated. If I remember correctly, about 20 years ago they had a 30 year supply. A few weeks ago they said they had a 150 year reserve.
So... hmmmm.... I am absolutely positive that there are geological satelites that can map the exact amount they have. So there could be a couple of issues about this.
1. they don't want their reserves to be sabotaged by the protesters in the region.
2. they will sit on the oil and turn off the valve to give OPEC some power in the world economy and turmoil (ha, a pun, turm oil).
3. they can't do math.

Anyway, wouldn't it be funny if they can't do math and the region is dried up and they didn't plan for the future. And now there's a million protesters in the street and the government really has no way to feed them.
Gluttony is a deadly sin. And it might play out for all of the world to see.
Unfortunately it will be genocide and mass migration which only leads to chaos for a few years. Thanks Saudi. fatasses.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I've got a friend that has some inside knowledge about Ghawar, which is their main oilfield. A few years he told me that they've been pumping it with saltwater for years to keep the pressure up and the government has been purposefully vastly overstating the well's capacity. From what he's told me, there's no way they have a 150 year supply. Probably is closer to 10-20.

JaneSmith

Registered Member
Those Saudi fields will be raided and burned soon.
And why Obama had a news conference a few weeks ago that Canada is our new best friend. And lower in the headlines today was a vast oilfield found in the US. hmmmm. What perfect timing. But shhhh, maybe Saudi is distracted with Egypt now.

But here's the big questions. When the oil runs out, millions of newly-democratic Muslims in the region and they get really hungry. I think the Irish potato famine in 1800 brought 1.5 million Irish to the States. eek. Where are 1.4 billion Muslims gonna go?
Are we seeing more halal restaurants in EU?
US corn production is at $7 per bushel now, in 6 months will corn be gold?
What about other commodities?

NeoCaesar

Registered Member
The difference is immigration controls are somewhat stricter than they were in 1800.

The sooner people didn't rely on fossil fuels the better as far as I'm concerned but yet they want to squeeze every last penny out of it.

uclgeogphd

Registered Member
I think its important to also factor in the type of oil trap and its locations when thinking of reserves. Its perfectly plausible for reserves to increase as technology to reach previously 'un-tappable' reserves is developed. The same goes in terms of our understandings of geological processes and mapping techniques. These have again advanced greatly in recent years. So the maths will change. Ultimately however the process of creating oil takes millions of years so resources are finite in all regions if our capacity to use it outpaces the geological ability to create more oil from relevant sediments.

Geopolitically it is already well known that alternate reserves are required so as not to be too reliant on SW Asian oil reserves. There are currently great geopolitical strides being taken into Arctic exploration and continental shelf claims to secure reserves in these regions. I believe that similar is occurring in the southern Islands, hence Argentina's reignition of nationalist interest in the Falkland Islands and its associated continental shelf claims out to sea.