Saturday's games 05-09-09

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by Babe_Ruth, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I would like to try and do this on a daily basis to increase the activity of the College Football section. Every Sunday I'll make a new topic called Saturday's games and we can discuss about the College Football games we watched.

Yesterday I only watched a full game and a few bits and pieces from other games. The game I watched was the Gators vs the Southern Buccaneers. It was pretty much over in the first quarter. The Gators just destroyed them 62-3. They even removed Tebow out of the game and gave Brantley a chance to show his stuff, he looked pretty good. Even though it was against a weak team, the defense and offense looked very strong.

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Let's see. I watched...

Ohio State vs Navy - Navy was very impressive. Ohio State wasn't impressive at all. Navy had a 2 point conversion attempt to tie the game with just a few minutes left, but the Buckeyes intercepted it and returned it for 2 points of their own to seal the win. They're going to get destroyed by USC next weekend.

Michigan vs Western Michigan - Only watched parts of the game since it was so one-sided. Michigan definitely looks better than they were last year.

Oklahoma State vs Georgia - OSU is the real deal. Their defense looked really good. Once their offense starts rolling, which it will, they're going to be hard to beat.

Iowa vs Northern Iowa - Only saw the last few minutes. Iowa blocked two field goals in the final six seconds to win by a point. I don't think they'll be contending for the Big Ten title.

Alabama vs Virginia Tech - It was a pretty good game, but it's hard to tell if both teams are really good or if they're both overrated. I think VT is going to struggle offensively this year.

LSU vs Washington - Only watched parts of the first half. Washington will be better than last year, but they clearly aren't on LSU's level. Great atmosphere in Seattle last night.

BYU vs Oklahoma - This was definitely the upset of the week. Sooners are unlucky that Bradford was knocked out of the game, but it's because of the poor o-line play. He was hit pretty hard three plays in a row. Don't count them out of the national title race yet though.

3. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

I was at the Missouri/Illinois game yesterday afternoon. It was so awesome...Missouri smoked the Illini. Missouri had 6 guys go to the NFL and somehow he still killed them.

Blaine Gaggart is the real deal.

I was drunk but managed to watch some of Washington/LSU later on.

4. Major

1. Illinois only won something like four games last season.
    2. Arrelious Benn wasn't playing, was he?
    3. Why is the game in St. Louis every year? It may be between campuses, but it's still always going to be a pro-Mizzou crowd.

5. Millz

Illinois was favored...even without him in there. Mizzou shouldnt have won...although we are one of those teams you just dont have any idea how good we'll be becausae we're so young.

It was half and half...believe it or not. Columbia and Champaign are about the same distance from St Louis.

6. Major

I know, but like I said, it's still in Missouri and will always be a pro-Missouri crowd. Most Illinois alums live in Chicago, not Champaign.

7. Millz

But like I said I was at the game and there were as many Missouri fans there as Illinois fans :D

Except not so much after the game because they all left really early to drown their sorrows away haha

8. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

USC looked very strong yesterday, so it should be an entertaining matchup against the Buckeyes next week.

To me it all depends on how Pryor plays, he didn't really look all that bad yesterday. His running game was pretty impressive but it could be better. Same thing with his passing game, but he's still working on that.

The defense also needs to be stronger, no offense to Navy but there's no way the Buckeyes should of gave up 27 runs. Dobbs just found so many weaknesses in the fourth quarter.

9. Vincent_Valentine

Vincent_Valentine Studley-Do-Right

Ohio State has always struggled against option offenses, so I wasn't surprised in the least that Navy did as well offensively as they did. The log pass play was annoying (given up by Anderson Russel, the same guy that gave up the winning touchdown in the Fiesta Bowl against Texas) and the 20-something yard touchdown run should have been stopped, but the defenders just missed the tackles. Other than those two plays, I knew we were going to struggle a bit against Navy.

The thing I'm concerned about is our offense. Pryor looked decent, and there was definitely some improvement from last year (converting two three and longs on the opening drive showed some great poise). The problem is that we kept calling run plays up the middle when Herron and Saine aren't strong enough to do that. They are far more effective on the outside and need to be used as such, but Tressels stubborn style of play calling really hurt us.

Hopefully Tressel has some tricks up his sleeve for USC that will throw them off guard. The USC players said last year that they only time they felt concerned was when Pryor was in at QB, so hopefully he can perform well.

10. Major

What I don't get is why they don't call more running plays for Pryor. He's easily the most talented running back on the team, yet he only carried the ball six times. Sure, you could say they don't want him to get injured. But what would Vince Young have been if they tried to turn him into more of a passer than a runner? Tressel needs to take advantage of all of Pryor's abilities.