SATs

Discussion in 'School' started by Cait, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Cait

Cait Oh, poppycock.

I just signed up for these today. I'm taking them march 14th, so I have about a month to prepare.

How did you on your SATs?
    How many times did you take them before you were happy?
    Any tips for a first time taker?

:shifteyes:I'm nervous.

2. EXQEX9

EXQEX9 Yep.

Sleep a lot, bring music and a snack, if someone next to you farts and you can't ignore it, ask to move.

My SATs were what I wanted, so I only took em once. I forgot what I got though.

It was over 9000...

Good luck, and don't stress.

3. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

Seeing as the highest score you can get is a 2400, I doubt that =P

Sleep a lot, and try not to get bored. I stopped in the middle of it because I got really bored and went to sleep.

4. Cait

Cait Oh, poppycock.

I don't think that was the best idea, bob. haha. I'm going to stuff my face that morning so I don't get hungry cause I always do.

5. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

When i took the SAT's the highest you could get was a 1600.. I got a 1410.. I didn't do anything the first time I took them. I just went on with life like normal the day before.. got up went and took them with no snacks, no more sleep than usual, and what not.. The second time I took them I went to an SAT prep course.. and actually did worse on them.. So, I didn't worry about it after that.
    I never study for standardized tests though. I just find it isn't worth it for me.

I didn't have to do the essay that is required now though, but really I don't think you can study for that.. and I also think it is crap, and apologize they made that a part of it.

6. Vincent_Valentine

Vincent_Valentine Studley-Do-Right

Well I ended up taking what was essentially an SAT/ACT prep course my senior year, so that kinda helped me get ready for them. I don't recall what I got on my SATs, but I know that it was decent enough that I didn't care enough to take them again. It also helped that I kicked ass on the ACTs. It wasn't to hard if my memory serves me right, but like Snap, I didn't have any essay bullshit to deal with.

Best of luck to you Cait. I'm sure you will rock it.

7. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

I took the PSATs twice, scoring around a 1800 and a 2040.

I only took the ACT for college admissions purposes, scoring a 33 composite, which is equivalent to a 2150-2200 on the SAT.

Don't overstudy. Most of it is being careful and prudent- almost all questions have a 'major distractor' that you may be tempted to immediantely choose. Think about it logically, take a deep breath, and choose.

Don't race through the sections until you get to the last quarter, which has the hardest questions. If you nail all the easy and intermediate questions, how you do on the harder ones doesn't matter all that much.

Not sure what math you're in, but make sure you're up to date on basic geometry vocabulary and arithmatic. Sometimes if you're in more advanced stuff the SAT math may be concepts you haven't studied in years.

Here's what I would study if I had two hours:

-Basic prefixes and suffixes (most hard vocabulary in the test can be guessed if you know them)
    -Jargon about angles and geometry
    -Read some sample passages on the College Board site and absolutely dissect them.

For Reading Comprehension, glance over the questions and figure out which ones you can answer without completing the passage and which ones you need to read the whole thing for. It can prevent rereading and save you time.

8. EXQEX9

EXQEX9 Yep.

You'll need to poop hardcore if you do that.

I had to poop during my sound final, and it made it really hard.

A quote from my professor:

"The show doesn't stop for shit. Literally"

9. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

I hate that test. The morning of my friend was late coming to my house and I was giving him a ride. We literally got to the testing site with only two minutes to spare. Technically, we were late, but there was a huge line and we were able to slip inside.

Get there with plenty of time lol

10. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

Took it 3 times at least and did average on them all, I hated the test because it took up so much time especially when the instructor was reading the directions that were obvious to those who could read.

For the math section I'll say if you're good with math then you shouldn't have a problem.

The writing section was easiest for me because I'm a good writer but the subjects you write on are the most tedious you'll ever see in your life.