• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Sarah Palins thinks Pope Francis is Being Brainwashed by the 'liberal media'

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Source

Former Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin has said Pope Francis has “taken her aback” with his liberal interpretation of Christianity and has expressed fears he may be being influenced by the mainstream media.

In an interview with CNN, Palin laid bare her misgivings about Pope Francis, who has impressed believers and nonbelievers alike with his humble and practical application of the gospel.

She told interviewer Jake Tapper: “He's had some statements that to me sound kind of liberal, has taken me aback, has kind of surprised me. There again, unless I really dig deep into what his messaging is, and do my own homework, I’m not going to just trust what I hear in the media.”

She continued: "I'm kinda trying to follow what his agenda is. You know he came out with a couple of things in the media but again I'm not one to trust the media's interpretation of somebody's message but having read through media outlets," the former Governor of Alaska said.

Her statements were slammed by some on social media. Radio 4 presenter Tom Sutcliffe summed it up on Twitter as: “Christianist baffled by an encounter with Christianity.”

Another wrote: “If Sarah Palin's this shocked by Pope Francis, she'll be catatonic when she finally gets round to reading about Jesus in the New Testament.”
I simply don't get it.

This is what baffles me about some of the American right-wing religious zealots, everything is the atheists and 'liberal' media's faults. Seriously, this is all they blabber about when things that go against their narrative happen. Take Pope Francis.

He's been, in my opinion, a better Christian than the previous Pope and about 90% of all Christian folk. He's turning away wealth, preaching love and taking shots at prejudice. He's basically doing what Jesus did, so why does he scare someone like Palin who pretends to be a Christian? What bothers me is that someone like Palin is seen as a legitimate and rational voice of reason by at least a portion of American voters. It's sickening to me that she thinks even the pope has an 'agenda'.

I'm the last person to support organized religion, but even I've been impressed with the humility and selflessness that Francis has shown the world and his flock so far.

Are people honestly siding with Palin? I really hope not. Aside from this broken and failed "liberal media" argument that we get shoved down our throats so regularly, does she really have any credible arguments? Because I cannot see any.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
Just to clarify my comment to Jake Tapper about Pope Francis, it was not my intention to be critical of Pope Francis. I was reminding viewers that we need to do our own homework on news subjects, and I hadn't done mine yet on the Pope's recent comments as reported by the media. Knowing full well how often the media mischaracterizes a person’s comments (especially a religious leader’s), I don’t trust them to get it right when it comes to reporting on the Vatican. I do, however, trust my many Catholic friends and family, including some excellent Catholic writers, who have since assured me that Pope Francis is as sincere and faithful a shepherd of his church as his two predecessors whom I admired. I apologize for not being clearer in my response, thus opening the door to critical media that does what it does best in ginning up controversy.

- Sarah Palin
I don't see what the big deal is here. People may always say something that comes across not the way they meant it. Especially when they speak a lot. Find one thing that they say that you can jump on...have you ever heard Obama give a speech or...good lord...Harry Reid? Only problem with Reid and Obama is they are saying something ludicrous at least once every few minutes.

I have to be perfectly honest, Palin has always seemed honest and well thought out to me. From my point of view, liberals seem to love when women are outspoken...except when they are a white christian conservative woman. We can't have that. I have to say, if someone doesn't think Palin is a well thought out, level headed individual, they probably haven't actually listened to her except what their media inside their bubble tells them. You could of course flip that argument on it's head with what I say about Obama or Reid, or any of the phony scumbags, but the difference is, I have listened to a lot of speeches by them, not just listened to a few clips taken out of context on television, or a few youtube videos also taken out of context.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Firstly, you are required to source any material that isn't yours so add a source to that quoted text, please.

I have to be perfectly honest, Palin has always seemed honest and well thought out to me.
Honest, sure. Well thought out? Definitely not, there's a sizable number of republicans that would think so as well.

From my point of view, liberals seem to love when women are outspoken...except when they are a white christian conservative woman.
Men made of straw are not going to answer the questions I asked. This has nothing to do with liberals, or race, or sex.

Stay on topic, please.

We can't have that. I have to say, if someone doesn't think Palin is a well thought out, level headed individual, they probably haven't actually listened to her except what their media inside their bubble tells them. You could of course flip that argument on it's head with what I say about Obama or Reid, or any of the phony scumbags, but the difference is, I have listened to a lot of speeches by them, not just listened to a few clips taken out of context on television, or a few youtube videos also taken out of context.
Then how do you explain people like myself, who have watched full speeches she has given and know this stuff you claim everyone else is missing . . . and still think that she's poorly thought out? The problem is that she's a mouthpiece. She never seems to have an opinion that truly belongs to her. Aside from that, she simply seems to regurgitate whatever is going to get her the most attention at any given time.

And lastly, she needs to own her words. She was being critical of the Pope. If she didn't backpedal (probably out of fear of backlash from some of the faithful) she'd probably gain some respect from people. Hell, I'd be happy if she just said, "Yeah, you know what? I did say those things." Instead, we get her claiming that she didn't do her homework . . . and then she ridicules the media for not doing their homework. Then of course, she decries the media stirring up 'controversy'. This is the definition of someone who is poorly thought out. Or perhaps, someone who IS well thought out but is clearly doing it to troll people.

But back to Pope Francis, can you please answer my questions since she was obviously being sincere before one of her 'friends' or 'excellent Christian writers' convinced her she was being somewhat silly, does her opinion have any credibility? Is Pope Francis just being 'swayed'?

dDave

V.I.P.
He's been, in my opinion, a better Christian than the previous Pope and about 90% of all Christian folk. He's turning away wealth, preaching love and taking shots at prejudice. He's basically doing what Jesus did, so why does he scare someone like Palin who pretends to be a Christian? What bothers me is that someone like Palin is seen as a legitimate and rational voice of reason by at least a portion of American voters. It's sickening to me that she thinks even the pope has an 'agenda'.
I see that you've listed a few items there but how exactly is he a "better" Christian than others?

I don't subscribe to the Catholic faith and thus I don't follow the Pope very closely.

I want to end by saying that every single person that watches the news is going to be influenced by it. I also don't think it's out of the question that the pope can have an agenda. Do I think that's the case in this instance? No, at least I haven't seen anything to make me think there's a political agenda. I don't think it's shocking that an American conservative might find that someone in Europe (no matter who they are) to be very far to the left by our standards.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
We had this exact conversation about the Pope here a few months ago. The media reported that the Pope said atheist will get to Heaven: Pope Francis assures atheists: You don?t have to believe in God to go to heaven - Europe - World - The Independent (link from the same news source as the OP). So either the Pope is a heretic or the mass media is twisting what he said to mean something else.

Palin said:
I'm kinda trying to follow what his agenda is. You know he came out with a couple of things in the media but again I'm not one to trust the media's interpretation of somebody's message but having read through media outlets,
Yeah, me neither. I'm not going to run with the Pope thinks people who deny God will get to Heaven.

Last week I heard several times that Tom Cruise said being on a movie set was just like being in war. Cruise was pillared for saying that. I found out yesterday what he said and guess what? He never said that! I can't blindly trust what the media says. They are many times out to destroy. So until I take the time to read what the Pope actually said, I'm going to assume he does not believe what was reported.

I guess if Palin wanted to avoid a storm she should have said "Well golly-gee Jim, I think the Pope is the greatest thing ever".

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Sarah Palin made the comments about the ‘liberal’ Pope as part of a promotion for her new Christmas book.
Looks like we know why she did this. Money, money, money, say anything that will make you a buck.

Personally I think the Catholic church finally has a good leader and Palin was just using the controversy to make herself more money.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
But back to Pope Francis, can you please answer my questions since she was obviously being sincere before one of her 'friends' or 'excellent Christian writers' convinced her she was being somewhat silly, does her opinion have any credibility? Is Pope Francis just being 'swayed'?
I just don't see what the big deal is here. She does a lot of television interviews and anyone who does is bound to say something they don't mean at some point. Isn't that why she came back later to say that she probably shouldn't have commented that strongly as she hadn't done her homework yet?

Sure her opinion has credibility. 100% credibility, no, but then again whose does? What she admitted that she wasn't truly informed on one subject before responding in a television interview? I don't know anyone who hasntoffeered an opinion on something when they didn't have all of the information. Is she not allowed to be human?

As for the pope I'm not catholic and I don't follow him in the media, except for a few occasional articles. Some of the ones I have read might suggest that he is being "swayed" but is this media bias or is it the truth? Maybe the few articles I happened to catch were portraying it that way. Who knows. Again I'm not catholic so it doesn't really matter to me.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
A few thoughts:

1. IS the media "left leaning"? Do they report things by and large with a liberal slant? Yes, to some extent, for the most part I don't have a problem with that. We are human beings and WE ALL have biases and prejudices and those that run the news aren't any different. When it crosses the line into bold faces lies and cover ups, then yes I have a problem with it.

2. Is Pope Francis any more "Christian" or "Catholic" than Pope Benedict? No. They may have somewhat different views on things but again, going back to the media, I think 1) Pope Francis gets his message out better and 2) the media is more gentle with Pope Francis. We have to remember Pope Francis is still in his "honeymoon" period, as far as the media goes.

3. I'm sorry, I've said this before and I know some disagree with me, but WHY is Palin even being interviewed to begin with?? The woman is an idiot, she can't EVER give a specific about ANYTHING!!

“He's had some statements that to me sound kind of liberal, has taken me aback, has kind of surprised me. There again, unless I really dig deep into what his messaging is, and do my own homework, I’m not going to just trust what I hear in the media.”
Like what? WHAT statements sound kind of liberal? What has "taken you aback"? He did say the Church focuses too much on abortion. Ok, did he say the Church should change it's stance on abortion? Did he say the Church should not consider abortion a sin? How about not judging gays...did he say "Hey, being gay isn't a sin anymore"? No, his message is one of mercy and love, which the last time I checked was Jesus' message.

Going back to the liberal media argument, I can't help but think the media continues to interview her because they know she's a knucklehead with an IQ of 12 and can barely formulate a coherent statement and they can make ALL conservatives look like her, and she doesn't care, so long as she gets book deals, her family gets reality shows, etc.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
A few thoughts:

1. IS the media "left leaning"? Do they report things by and large with a liberal slant? Yes, to some extent, for the most part I don't have a problem with that. We are human beings and WE ALL have biases and prejudices and those that run the news aren't any different. When it crosses the line into bold faces lies and cover ups, then yes I have a problem with it.

2. Is Pope Francis any more "Christian" or "Catholic" than Pope Benedict? No. They may have somewhat different views on things but again, going back to the media, I think 1) Pope Francis gets his message out better and 2) the media is more gentle with Pope Francis. We have to remember Pope Francis is still in his "honeymoon" period, as far as the media goes.

3. I'm sorry, I've said this before and I know some disagree with me, but WHY is Palin even being interviewed to begin with?? The woman is an idiot, she can't EVER give a specific about ANYTHING!!

Like what? WHAT statements sound kind of liberal? What has "taken you aback"? He did say the Church focuses too much on abortion. Ok, did he say the Church should change it's stance on abortion? Did he say the Church should not consider abortion a sin? How about not judging gays...did he say "Hey, being gay isn't a sin anymore"? No, his message is one of mercy and love, which the last time I checked was Jesus' message.

Going back to the liberal media argument, I can't help but think the media continues to interview her because they know she's a knucklehead with an IQ of 12 and can barely formulate a coherent statement and they can make ALL conservatives look like her, and she doesn't care, so long as she gets book deals, her family gets reality shows, etc.
I see what you mean and you're right. I was thinking she said:
"I don't know about the Pope, its probably just the liberal media"
what she actually said was:
"There are some bad things, I don't know about the Pope, its probably the liberal media"

Big difference. Ironically, she did exactly what she accuses the media of doing. Creating doubt and then acting like you didn't create the doubt. Its like the media coming up with Mitt Romney didn't pay taxes and demand he answer it. Or asking someone when they beat their wife last.

Good point, CO.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
MIT I think I'm going to have to disagree with you on one major point. The difference between what Palin did and what the media did with regards to "Mitt Romney didn't pay any taxes" is that Palin owned up to the fact that she said something wrong. So I don't think you can make that comparison fairly there.

Firstly, you are required to source any material that isn't yours so add a source to that quoted text, please.
Oops, here you are:

https://www.facebook.com/sarahpalin