• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

"Sarah Palin Emails Released By Alaska Government"

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
From the Huffington Post, but it really just kind of outlines what's going on. What are your thoughts on these emails being released? Is it the public's right to read them, or more of an invasion of her privacy? Do you think that as messages are revealed it will make Sarah Palin look good or bad? Both?

Sarah Palin Emails Released By Alaska Government

The state of Alaska released thousands of pages of emails sent and received by Sarah Palin during her tenure as governor on Friday.
More than 24,000 pages, the dispatch comes in response to requests from media organizations, as well as individuals, under the state public records law during the 2008 presidential election. The emails were exchanged from when Palin first took office in December of 2006 through September of 2008. Emails sent by the former governor in the subsequent ten months through her resignation are expected to be disclosed at a later date.

During an appearance on "Fox News Sunday" last weekend, Palin said that she's not concerned that the emails being released could produce any damaging revelations.

"I think every rock in the Palin household that could ever be kicked over and uncovered anything, it's already been kicked over," she explained. "I don't think there's anything private in our family now. A lot of those emails obviously weren't meant for public consumption. They are between staff members. They're probably between family members."

The former governor added, "They'll never truly know what the context of each one of the emails was, or each one of the issues were that I was working on that day, or in that time period."
From what I understand, this is new news and there really haven't been any specific emails being analyzed yet. The Huffington Post has a like to live blog updates under the article for different organizations/people reacting to the news...you can read them for yourself, but here are two of the initial ones listed:

From the Washington Post:
"The emails detail a Governor hard at work. Everyone should read them." -- Sarah PAC treasurer Tim Crawford.
From the AP:
It's not clear yet whether the 24,199 pages being released will contain any major revelations, but they will provide a fresh look at the inner-workings of her office from the time she took office in December 2006 to her ascension to vice presidential nominee in September 2008. Requests have been made for emails from her final 10 months in office. The state hasn't begun the process of reviewing those yet. Palin resigned partway through her term, in July 2009.

Prior records requests have shed light on the Palin administration's efforts to advance a natural gas pipeline project and the role played by Palin's husband in state business.
Anyway, thoughts?

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
She was a public servant so one hand they should be released. What bothers me is how many people some newspapers have going through them, all for someone who hasn't even declared they are running for president yet.

If this doesn't prove the boner the media has for trying to make her look bad at any expense, nothing will.

shelgarr

Registered Member
It could easily show all the good she did, that her opposers will scheme to appear as bad. Any bad it shows cannot be worse than what she has faced thus far that hasn't swayed her a bit.

It cannot be denied that what she accomplished for her community firsthand and state secondhand was admirable. Communications can be dicey during any kind of transaction, but in the political arena I can only imagine what it takes to get things done. It won't be surprising that it will look ugly. Oh well. At least she was born here.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I wonder if there will be any pictures of her crouch sent to young groupies?

I think its kind of silly to release them. I don't understand the mentality of it all. "Hey lets file a lawsuit to get the emails of an ex-governor released to the public" - Who thinks that? Further, what news group post them online and then ask readers to plow through them to find interesting tidbits? That's bizarre to me.

Here's an idea. Next time a 2000 page piece of legislation comes up for vote and the President demands a vote within 72 hours lets dump that on the NYT and let readers plow through it. A bill that will affect 20% of the economy forever or emails from an ex-governor that's no longer a public servant? Tough call.

My personal prediction is liberals are currently salivating thinking they've finally got the silver bullet that's going to prove their narrative they've created but in the end, they will look like fools like always. Liberals were salivating over the Palin/Biden debate until she won that debate. The same with her book until the reviews came out. The same with her top aid that wrote a book that turning out to be a dud.

Its the same boring story for 3 years now. Liberal kooks running around saying they've finally got the proof that the moon is made of cheese. They always look like idiots in the end.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Is this something done with other candidates? If so, it's not newsworthy unless they find something. If not, this seems really excessive.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Here's an idea. Next time a 2000 page piece of legislation comes up for vote and the President demands a vote within 72 hours lets dump that on the NYT and let readers plow through it. A bill that will affect 20% of the economy forever or emails from an ex-governor that's no longer a public servant? Tough call.

They're not in the business of making sure people read through a bill that will affect 20% of the economy, they're in the business of selling newspapers. A bill that's thousands of pages long won't sell newspapers. Sarah Palin's emails will (apparently, although I have no idea why)

It's simple supply and demand - isn't that what capitalism is all about?

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
They're in the business of reporting, or at least they're supposed to be. They're supposed to be the "watchdog" if you will. When they don't report what the sitting president is trying to pass and instead focus on someone who is no longer in office and someone whom THEY consider a moron, and isn't even running for office, it shows how bad and how partisan our news is. Every citizen should be pissed.

Going by your argument, Di, Fox News does nothing wrong, right? They report what they report and they have the highest ratings. Simple supply and demand.
------
They're in the business of reporting, or at least they're supposed to be. They're supposed to be the "watchdog" if you will. When they don't report what the sitting president is trying to pass and instead focus on someone who is no longer in office and someone whom THEY consider a moron, and isn't even running for office, it shows how bad and how partisan our news is. Every citizen should be pissed.

Going by your argument, Di, Fox News does nothing wrong, right? They report what they report and they have the highest ratings. Simple supply and demand.

Last edited:

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I'm not saying it's right. I'm saying that's what newspapers/news organizations (or "news" if you will) do now - they give the public what it wants. Or what they're told they want.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
But they're job is to report what the president wants to pass, they failed to do that.

If we're going to hold Fox News to the standard of "being fair" and "nonpartisan" and "reporting accurately and fairly" then that should apply to ALL news sources, or none of them.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I don't disagree with you, and I'm not saying I'm not pissed. I'm saying there is no legitimate major news source. I know you think this is a partisan issue, too, but it's not - the only political news story I saw on this evening's local news was about Weiner-gate. They only report on what's juicy and gossipy.