• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Santorum: pros and cons

shelgarr

Registered Member
List one item each that you see he could be both a positive and a negative for this country.

Pro - he wants to reform entitlements
Con - liberals will HATE his family man stance on being the strength of america

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
He has a consistent record and appears to walk the walk

He will be demonized as a far right fringe religious wacko evangelical

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
He will be demonized as a far right fringe religious wacko evangelical
How can something that will happen be listed as a con? Is there nothing bad you can say about him? :lol:

To me...

Pro: He's not THAT crazy. He has some views that I can at least put up with and deal with without being too upset.

Con: He's a homophobe, basically. That will not make some very important groups of voters happy. See here: Jay Michaelson: Santorum's Homophobia Problem

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Con: He's a homophobe, basically. That will not make some very important groups of voters happy. See here: Jay Michaelson: Santorum's Homophobia Problem
How? I read the whole article and all I got out of it was Santorum hates gay people.

Pro: He comes across as a decent, honest man.

Con: He's acting like someone that just started the race, not someone that's been in it from the beginning. Its impossible today to find any info on him. His website is horrible. Another thing, since the start of the SC primary Republicans must win SC to win the primary. He has zero ground game here. There are signs everywhere for Romney, Newt, Bachmann, Perry and Paul but have not seen a single Santorum sign. Every candidate except Santorum has robo-called me and they've all picked up endorsements. He's got a very long way to go if he's going to catch up to Romney.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
How can something that will happen be listed as a con? Is there nothing bad you can say about him? :lol:

To me...

Pro: He's not THAT crazy. He has some views that I can at least put up with and deal with without being too upset.

It always cracks me up when people reference the huffing&puffington post. It is almost as if one douchebag calls him a homophobe that makes it true? :lol:

I guess if you go to church, have a family (that dirty breeder), and don't cheat on your wife, that makes you some kind of an "extremist". If you are a Christian who believes homosexuality is a sin then you are a homophobe? What does he run away screaming in fear whenever he sees a homosexual? :lol:

But really, what role does the POTUS and the federal government have in determining which consenting adults can have sexual relations with each other?

Yep, the demonization of Santorum has begun. It is now open season.

dDave

V.I.P.
I really like Santorum.

He wants to let the states do more of their own legislating, he's pro life, stands with Israel, will cut spending, and best of all he's consistent.

I will be fine with either Romney or Santorum, I'm not all that fond of Ron Paul after learning more about him though so I'm glad he didn't get one of the leading 2 spots in Iowa.

If I were Romney or Santorum I would be highly considering the other for the position of VP.

I like how Santorum beat Democratic opponents in Democratic majority areas in Pennsylvania. He might be too right wing to be elected though. Other than Herman Cain he was my favorite guy though.

Anybody is better than Obama though I think.

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Is it true that Santorum thinks states should be able to ban contraceptives?

I'm pretty pro-life, but that's a step way too far, in my opinion, if true.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
States (and the people) have the right to do anything that is not an enumerated federal power or in some way violates the constitution.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I've never heard that about Santorum, but if he believes it it makes me support him more. I in no way would support a state ban on contraception, but fully support a candidate that has the confidence that the people inside a state can decide what is best for them. That would be a fantastic change in what we've seen in the past.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Con: He's acting like someone that just started the race, not someone that's been in it from the beginning. Its impossible today to find any info on him. His website is horrible. Another thing, since the start of the SC primary Republicans must win SC to win the primary. He has zero ground game here. There are signs everywhere for Romney, Newt, Bachmann, Perry and Paul but have not seen a single Santorum sign. Every candidate except Santorum has robo-called me and they've all picked up endorsements. He's got a very long way to go if he's going to catch up to Romney.
That type of upstart-iness is scary to think about. All of his focus was in Iowa, and nothing in any other state so far. Even in PA, his home state (where I live), no one has seriously thought about his campaign, because half the state didn't even know he was running for President... AND HE WORKED HERE.

It always cracks me up when people reference the huffing&puffington post. It is almost as if one douchebag calls him a homophobe that makes it true? :lol:

I guess if you go to church, have a family (that dirty breeder), and don't cheat on your wife, that makes you some kind of an "extremist". If you are a Christian who believes homosexuality is a sin then you are a homophobe? What does he run away screaming in fear whenever he sees a homosexual? :lol:

But really, what role does the POTUS and the federal government have in determining which consenting adults can have sexual relations with each other?

Yep, the demonization of Santorum has begun. It is now open season.
I don't call Santorum a demon, and neither do I call him an extremist. He is neither, in my eyes. In fact, he is a solid candidate. However, his views on some very important non-economical issues (abortion, same sex marriage, etc.) either do not agree with my views or are extremely radical. I pride myself in being pro-choice, and for him to go as far to try to ban contraceptives in my state is ridiculous. Additionally, in a country filled with a rising homosexual population, having someone who does not agree with it being allowed in terms of marriages is taking this country backwards. I am a Christian. I go to church. But I do not agree with what kind of radical moves Santorum would be taking.