Santa is a FAKE

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
I actually managed to get myself perma-banned from another forum, for getting into such a heated debate with a couple of "leet" arse-carts about this one:

"Is pretending to give gifts to your children as 'Santa' going to seriously mess up their lives, because you are essentially 'lying' to them?"

The other side said that giving gifts under the guise of Santa Claus to your children is evil, because you are 'lying' to them --> Once the children find out that you were 'lying', they will resent you, and disrespect you, because you lied to them.

My argument said that children would appreciate you more, because they should recognize that you actually put a little time and effort (and a lot more money than they originally thought) into them.

What do you think? (keep it civil, PLEASE)

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think it's harmless fun. Kids like stuff like Santa. I never met one person who was MESSED UP from believing in Santa. I never believed in Santa myself but I can see how it would be pretty cool to think it was true.

I think people can look back on their "Santa memories" and not mind that they were a sucker at the time.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
I think that if it messed kids up, Western society would have been long gone by now.

I also think that having an argy bargy with the 1337 crowd is akin to slamming your own head in a door.

dows

No. It is evil. What is wrong with you people? Can't you see what damage you are doing to these kids? Idiots.

hehe. Sorry - couldn't resist.

I don't see it as that bigger deal - kids love santa and the idea of santa so let them believe in him for as long as they won't. Plenty of people believe in different things. Why can't kids do the same?

Bah. Mountain out of mole hills.

SammyMay

Registered Member
I believed in Santa when i was younger. I actually found out through a substitute teacher at my school that Santa was not real. (this was definitely not for her to tell me, but decided on telling my entire class regardless)I was never angry with my parents for lying to me, although I was some-what depressed, but still happy that now I knew i got to have some influence on what i would recieve for the years to come. The only x-mas that i remember being ruined after that was when my younger sister found out santa wasn't real. That to me was more horrifying than the day i found out. Then the magic around the house was completely gone :(

Registered Member
I actually managed to get myself perma-banned from another forum, for getting into such a heated debate with a couple of "leet" arse-carts about this one:

"Is pretending to give gifts to your children as 'Santa' going to seriously mess up their lives, because you are essentially 'lying' to them?"

The other side said that giving gifts under the guise of Santa Claus to your children is evil, because you are 'lying' to them --> Once the children find out that you were 'lying', they will resent you, and disrespect you, because you lied to them.

My argument said that children would appreciate you more, because they should recognize that you actually put a little time and effort (and a lot more money than they originally thought) into them.

What do you think? (keep it civil, PLEASE)
Well if your going to put your argument in that way, I guess it holds some significant value to most children ( I am not saying all ). Some children may be mature enough to understand this if their parents explain it to them but as I say not all children are capable being that matured. Most children like me actually believed that santa existed back when i was like 9 but i eventually understood all of it when i hit 11 or 12. It didnt bother me that much because i was still getting presents. So in a way, i began to acknowledge my parents were the new santa for me. ( Haha its funny you know, my friends all laughed at me when i told them this) The part about lying to your children well.... lets put it in this way, how many times were we as children have actually lied to our parents... And what was our parent's response???? Sure, they get pissed and scold you if they found out but they still put up with you no matter what happens right. They dont resent or disrespect us. Now lets see, they lie to us one time and we turn our backs on them... I know its not good for parents to lie to their children but they wanted to provide a joyous christmas to us when we were still children.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Get kids to believe in it while they are young, as they get older and you don't know what to buy them, tell them the truth.

SirAlex

Registered Member
I believed it until about 10ish, and seriously i had the time of my life. TBH i don't think that there is any problem at all about parents "lying" to their kids about it, it's all just for fun anyway.

English-Emo-Boy

Supreme System Lord
V.I.P.
It's fun for young kids but as soon as they get old enough most kids figure out that he is just a made up fat bloke.

I don't think it messes anyone up. Infact it makes Christmas far more exciting and it encourages good behaviour in exchange for a visit from Santa.