• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Salary cap going forward

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Our resident cap geek cryptishock can add the numbers but it's not a secret that there's going to be a major increase in the salary cap going forward. Inflated salaries were both major concerns regarding the two recent lockouts. Will this cap increase put the nhl in danger once again?

Crypticshock

Registered Member
It's not going to put the NHL in danger... but it is going to put some cities in danger. I forget the number floating around, but I think teams will be getting something like $28M from the new and old TV deals AND revenue sharing. That will be about 50% of the cap floor next season. If the HRR keeps inflating, like they expect (5 outdoor games, a billion dollar TV deal) we would be seeing a $90M ceiling and $65M floor. Tell me, how are the Florida Panthers staying in town with $7 tickets and free parking?

Since the TV deal has been made and with the drop in the loonie, Rogers is already saving $128M.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
If the Salary Cap goes up wouldn't the NHL make sure that the revenue sharing goes up as well...so those Small Markets teams you speak of don't suffer?

Crypticshock

Registered Member
The RS won't increase enough over the years to cover what the floor will be set at. RS is only so large, it is not a % number. They also increased the number of teams that can get RS, so while the number is bigger, the amount of kids in the pool with open mouthes is bigger.

BourneofDarkness15

Registered Member
Dickey's Flow said:
Our resident cap geek cryptishock can add the numbers but it's not a secret that there's going to be a major increase in the salary cap going forward. Inflated salaries were both major concerns regarding the two recent lockouts. Will this cap increase put the nhl in danger once again?
It might put some teams in danger, but not so sure about the league. I do think these 8-10+ years and big money contracts do need to stop though, since a lot of times the players are traded away or just retire halfway through them sometimes

Crypticshock

Registered Member
"8-10+ years contracts" ?

Whoa. Someone is not familiar with the new CBA. The longest a player can sign for under the new CBA is 8 years and that is ONLY if he signs with the team he is currently playing for. The longest contract a player can sign to for a new team is 7 years.

TL;DR

8 year maximum to resign with your team, 7 year maximum to sign with a new team.

EDIT: Should also note, if a player signed a long term contract after the age of 35 and retires, the team that he was playing for will continue to take his salary on their cap. (I do not think the CBA changed this rule?)