• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Sake (Japanese Wine)

Shwa

V.I.P.
So about two weeks ago I had my first bottle of Sake while I was eating with my go worker at a sushi restaurant. It was called "Killer Piranha" in Downtown Fort Worth. Now I have to say my first sake experience wasn't the best, I ordered a bottle and asked for Raspberry and Black Cherry flavored (thinking it would taste delicious). It was like taking a shot of straight up vodka with every sip, I couldn't finish the last 1/4th of the bottle, but man it was horrible, but I paid 9$ for it, might as well try to enjoy it with sushi.

What I did like about drinking Sake was the warm feeling it had, it was something new to me (like drinking a Hot Irish Cream Coffee with alcohol or even Hot Chocolate). I liked how it went down and kept ya warm as well, but besides that, next time I'll go for a different flavor.

Have any of y'all partook in drinking Sake at a restaurant or at home? How was your first experience with it? Do you drink it often?

~Shwa

Dabs

Registered Member
I have never tasted this wine Shwa. I'm not much of an alcohol person, but I occasionally do like a glass of wine, but it's rare. And I haven't been subjected to many different varieties either, just your basic cheap ass wines.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I had one small glass of it at a friend's house a few years ago and didn't care for it at all. I agree that it was like sipping straight vodka, if not worse. It's definitely not similar to wine at all. Seems like more of a rice-based liquor to me.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
omg omg, haha (hyper much)

Ever since I've tasted flavoured sake last summer, I'm a big fan. We got lychee ones from Bevmo. When I went to the Jap restos though they only had unflavored and they tasted icky to me. One was even thick and white, er it kinda reminds me of... *censored*.

Anyway going back to the good flavored one, it does give you a warm feeling. I really like it. It's a while when it gives you a buzz but it does hit you almost suddenly... even so, the buzz is enjoyable.

Shwa

V.I.P.
I had one small glass of it at a friend's house a few years ago and didn't care for it at all. I agree that it was like sipping straight vodka, if not worse. It's definitely not similar to wine at all. Seems like more of a rice-based liquor to me.
Yeah originally I thought it was a type of warm beer, but then found out its a rice based wine...hella strong for sure. Next time I do try it I'll try to go with something not full of flavor, and then maybe next time I can actually finish the bottle in one setting.

ysabel

Anyway going back to the good flavored one, it does give you a warm feeling. I really like it. It's a while when it gives you a buzz but it does hit you almost suddenly... even so, the buzz is enjoyable.
I did feel a small buzz but honestly it was nothing like other drinks I've had (liquor or alcohol). But not gonna lie, there was a buzz none the less.

~Shwa

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I've had it before; while it did seem very strong to me, I wouldn't describe it as seeming like sipping on Vodka.

I'd definitely like to try it again, wouldn't mind a flavor. More than any flavor I just want to try warm Sake.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I did feel a small buzz but honestly it was nothing like other drinks I've had (liquor or alcohol). But not gonna lie, there was a buzz none the less.

~Shwa
I found it so smooth that you almost don't expect any buzz until you get it, lol. You should buy a bottle of flavoured one, chill it, and bring it to the airport this Saturday! :)

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
The only time I've had sake was at a hibachi restaurant when they would shoot it into my mouth for a period of time as the cook slowly pulled away...pretty cool, haha.

It was a watered down version though so it's hard for me to say one way or another. Seemed pretty good though.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I don't care for Sake at all. I wanted to like it but it reminded me of rubbing alcohol. When I go out for sushi, I drink plum wine. Sake = beurky.

Dabs

Registered Member
If Sake is mostly served with sushi, then that's a reason I will most likely never try it. I don't eat sushi. I was thinking this Sake (Japanese Wine) was like any other wine, pour it into a glass and drink.