Safe GFing?

Should GF adopt a policy to guarantee the safety of sponsor links?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Steerpike

Registered Member
Should this site adopt a policy that guarantees the safety of all sponsor links with regard to malware?

English-Emo-Boy

Supreme System Lord
V.I.P.
The first question would be, apart from Hybrix would anyone else really care?

I suppose on the internet, garenteed safety is very difficult and expensive to obtain.

But I suppose you'll chip in, Steerpike!!

Steerpike

Registered Member
The first question would be, apart from Hybrix would anyone else really care?
Anyone who doesn't want malware on their computer from accidently clicking a sponsor link would care.

Do you want a virus or trojan horse on your computer from accidently clicking a sponsor link where said sponsor has some malware built into the link?

I suppose on the internet, garenteed safety is very difficult and expensive to obtain.
So far as the question goes. It would only require that GF not accept sponsors whose links give malware or require that sponsors not have malware in their links.

Steerpike

Registered Member
Well if anyone cared that much it would already have been brought up...
Not necessarily. If one makes assumptions that it is undoable, then one might not bring it up. It is doable by Hybrix screening the sponsor links prior to actually adding them.

Would you be in favor of this site adopting such a policy?

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Maybe you should ask Hybrix first if this system is not already in place. And if it isn't, for what reason.

To answer the OP, yes (although I don't really click on sponsor links anyway).

Steerpike

Registered Member
Maybe you should ask Hybrix first if this system is not already in place. And if it isn't, for what reason.

To answer the OP, yes (although I don't really click on sponsor links anyway).
There was this post made some time back:

The other day, I accidentally clicked one of those words ads (popped up in front of me :-/).

It went to a website that was predominantly blank, but said "Toolbar download required! No Spyware!" (yeah right... :urp:)

I clicked Back to get back to the thread, but a message box pops up, and says "Download required!!"

I clicked the |x| in the top right corner to avoid clicking "ok", and it pops up with another message box --> "You want to download? Click cancel to continue! Click Okay to continue!"

These message boxes popped up for every button in Firefox, from bookmarks, to history, to Alt+F4, to Ctrl+Alt+Del and End Task!!

I was about to cut the power to my computer, but I managed to get Firefox to glitch out, and pop up with the annoying "We're sorry, but Firefox has encountered a fatal error, blah blah blah"

I figured I should make a heads-up that some of those ads apparently aren't entirely honest....
------
A poll has been added so members may vote as well as post.

Last edited:

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't see every ad (or even most ads) before they show up here. They are generated automatically. However, if any given ad link has spyware or whatever on it it is most likely against the policies of the individual advertising program it's being generated through. Report specific ads to me and I'll look into having them removed if they are linking to malicious sites.