• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Saddest moments in baseball

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
To me, there's two that stand out:

1. The Lou Gehrig speech - One of the best speeches of all-time. Gehrig was a gentleman. He knew that he was dying, but yet he put everyone else in front of himself.

2. Babe Ruth speech - This picture gives more justice then words could ever do:

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Roberto Clemente. Clemente was very giving always helping out the community. Donating his time and what little money they made back then to people who were poor. That was how he died by paying for a plane out of his pocket to fly supllies to another country after a act of nature caused great damage. He also supported funding for little league fields.

One of the stories I heard the most when I was a kid happened at the Olympic Stadium during a game between the Giants and the Expos. That pitcher named Dave Dravecky who completely destroyed his arm while throwing a fastball. Apparently, the pop of his arm breaking was so loud that you could've heard it from anywhere in the Big O when that happened. IIRC, he was coming back from an injury to that same arm that kept him out of action for a while but that was the last game he ever pitched. If I'm not mistaken, they had to amputate his arm shortly afterwards and he also committed suicide a few years later.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
EdgeHead said:
One of the stories I heard the most when I was a kid happened at the Olympic Stadium during a game between the Giants and the Expos. That pitcher named Dave Dravecky who completely destroyed his arm while throwing a fastball. Apparently, the pop of his arm breaking was so loud that you could've heard it from anywhere in the Big O when that happened. IIRC, he was coming back from an injury to that same arm that kept him out of action for a while but that was the last game he ever pitched. If I'm not mistaken, they had to amputate his arm shortly afterwards and he also committed suicide a few years later.
According to Wikipedia he's still alive and he's become a motivational speaker.

Sabby

I'd say every August-September when the BlueJays are officially eliminated from the post-season

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
EdgeHead said:
As an Expos fan I really thought you were going to mention the following date: 11-August-1994, when the players went on strike, or the day in September (16th?) when the owners officially cancelled the rest of the season. Not only did it potentially loss the Expos a World Series, but they could never recover from the work stoppage.

goingtopshelf

Registered Member
Darryl Kile's death stands out, as well as the deaths of Nick Adenhardt, Cory Lidle, Thurman Munson and Lyman Bostock because they were all active at the time of their deaths and all occurred in season. Lidle's was actually during the 2006 playoffs just days after the Yankees were eliminated in the ALDS by the Tigers.

BJBirdy said:
EdgeHead said:
According to Wikipedia he's still alive and he's become a motivational speaker.
Thanks for correcting me then. I've always thought that he committed suicide a couple of years later!

goingtopshelf said:
Darryl Kile's death stands out, as well as the deaths of Nick Adenhardt, Cory Lidle, Thurman Munson and Lyman Bostock because they were all active at the time of their deaths and all occurred in season. Lidle's was actually during the 2006 playoffs just days after the Yankees were eliminated in the ALDS by the Tigers.
Weren't there 4 Indians pitchers that got killed in a boat accident in the mid-90's or something similar. I do remember that one of them was Steve Odin, who was the Indians closer I believe back then, but I'm drawing a blank for the 3 others.