Saddest Event Inspired Songs?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Alright, there are a lot of musicians who have based songs off of tragedies in their private lives. What do you consider some of the saddest events that have inspired songs?

For me I think it's the song "Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton. He wrote this after his four year old son fell to his death from the 53rd floor of a condominium. I think that would be absolutely devastating and every time I hear the song it makes me think of that happening. :(

My heart goes out to him every time I hear the song.

So what event inspired songs have an effect on you?

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I don't even know where any of the songs I listen to come from. I didn't believe the "Tears in Heaven" story at first, but I later found out it was true, so yeah...

The closest thing I can think of is Superman (It's Not Easy) by Five for Fighting that temporarily replaced the national anthem (no, not really =/ ) after 9/11.

The_Burger_King

Registered Member
Don Mclean-(I hope I spelled it correctly) American Pie which was wrote after the tradgic deaths of Richie Valens, Buddy Holly, and The Big Bopper in a plane crash.

"Wish You Were Here"

The whole album, but especially the title track.

Nothing gets to me more than mourning for a fellow band member...

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Eric Clapton has had a pretty tragic life.

The song that always gets me is The Wreck of the Edumnd Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot. I can never listen to it without getting a little choked up.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
I think its Brad Paisley and Alison Krauss... Whiskey Lullaby

I think I remember hearing he sung this song for a buddy who killed himself over a girl who did the same thing... its a sad song. Not sure tho

brad paisley alison krauss whiskey lullaby

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have to agree with your selection Hybrix, I believe Tears from Heaven is a great song that was inspired by his sons death, it's sad how it happened, when he fell off the balcony. I can't think of any other songs at the moment but I'm sure something will come up.

Westy

Registered Member
Candle in the wind, by Elton John.
He adapted it for the death of Pricess Diana, and sung it at her funeral.....Was very moving made me cry.......:(