• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Sabermetrics

Which do you use?

• Sabermetrics

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Anybody out there know alot about Sabermetrics? It seems to be the new hot and heavy thing most statisticians are using to decide a player's worth to their team. For those who dont know what Im talking about I'll reference wikipedia for an explanation:

The Society for American Baseball Research (SABR) develops innovative statistics (the term sabermetrics refers to the field of study and to the specific statistics devised) to better gauge a player's performance and contributions, and to provide statistical answers to more abstract questions about relative worth.

Some sabermetrics have acquired wider use:
Situational statistics More specific statistics apply to particular situations. For example, statistics may indicate that a batter performs better against left-handed pitchers, or with runners in scoring position. With a statistical indication that the current situation favors a certain player, the offensive manager might pinch-hit this batter, while the defensive manager might elect to intentionally walk the batter in order to face a batter who is less likely to succeed.

Personally I still use the old counting stats like average, homers, rbis, runs, hits etc but I know alot of people are the exact opposite of that and dont believe those stats are good indicators of how good a player is.

So, counting stats or sabermetrics for you?

Last edited:

SamtheBravesFan

I know it seems like a crazy idea to do this, but how about utilizing both? I do. :)

Take Bob Welch and Dave Stewart of the 1990 Oakland A's. Here are the basic counting stats:

Welch - 27-6, 2.95 ERA, 238 IP, 214 H, 90 R, 78 ER, 77 BB, 127 K
Stewart - 22-11, 2.56 ERA, 267 IP, 226 H, 84 R, 76 ER, 83 BB, 166 K

It's a little hard to tell who's better, isn't it? That's where sabermetrics comes in. Look at their WHIPs and ERA+ (ERA adjusted to league average)

Welch - 1.223 WHIP, 126 ERA+
Stewart - 1.157 WHIP, 145 ERA+

And then lets take Albert Pujols's 2008 season:

.357 BA, .462 OBP, .653 SLG, 187 H, 44 2B, 37 HR, 116 RBI, 100 R

Let's use OPS and OPS+ (OPS relative to league average)

OPS - 1.115
OPS+ - 190

Both of those totals led the league. Sabrmetrics can also be used to support what already seems right. They further show how much Pujols kicks butt.

And that's why I use both. :D

Wade8813

Registered Member
I lean more towards Sabermetrics. Counting stats don't account for so many things. For instance, it was a lot easier to hit HR in Coors field a few years ago, than it is to hit them in Safeco. Or the fact that everyone in the majors started hitting way more in the 90's, but nobody could hit in the 60's.

Plus, things like RBI are influenced a lot by teammates.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Babe_Ruth Baseball 11