S.W.A.T. monkeys!?

LicentiousVenus

Registered Member
Ever heard of a SWAT monkey? I hadn't either, until my bf was reading articles on the net. Apparently Mesa, AZ has trained monkeys to help the cops. Makes sense I guess...they can use their hands better thand dogs can use their paws...not very vicious though...I'm guessing they have a K-9 division too.

SamusAran86

Registered Member
Yeah, this is a weird news story here.

They havent quite trained one yet, but they are looking into it.

AZFamily.com said:
MESA — The Mesa Police Department is looking to add some primal instinct to its SWAT team. And to do that, it's looking to a monkey.

The department has submitted a request to purchase and train a capuchin monkey, which is considered the second smartest primate to the chimpanzee.

The department is seeking about $100,000 in federal grant money to put the idea to use in Mesa SWAT operations.

The monkey weighs only three to eight pounds, has tiny humanlike hands and puzzle-solving skills. Police say it would be able to get into places no officer or robot could go and could unlock doors, search buildings and find suicide victims on command
I dont have a problem with it, as I think they could get into areas that a dog/robot/officer couldnt