Movies S. Darko (Donnie Darko 2)

Italiano

Film Elitist
It's supposed to start shooting on May 18th. Takes place 7 years after the first one and follows Donnie's younger sister, Samantha.

Wonderful, a sequel to a good mindfuck film that is probably going to drop right in the shitter...

But who knows? I could be judging too soon as all of us do sometimes with movies. The original writer/director, Richard Kelley, is not involved with the production and Chris Fisher, the new director, has for the most part directed a couple B-horror films that I haven't seen and couple of television episodes.

Thoughts?

If new information arises about it feel free to update the thread.

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
Aw no, Donnie Darko is one of those brilliant films that stand alone completely fine. A sequel is not neccesary, the story does not need continuing. Frank says no.

Bliss

Sally Twit
Why do people continue to do this? Films like that should be left as they are and remembered for how they made you think etc. I think they're making a big mistake because it doesn't need a sequel.
It makes me laugh wondering what the story will even be like.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
This should be interesting, I really liked the first one and never expected them to make a sequel. I am going to see this movie no doubt about, I just want to see where there going with this one, especially that there focusing on Samantha in this new one.

None the less you guys might be very surprise about this movie, it probably won't be good like the first one, but you never know.

Matriqulated

Future is Fused 3036A.D.
Why do people continue to do this? Films like that should be left as they are and remembered for how they made you think etc. I think they're making a big mistake because it doesn't need a sequel.
It makes me laugh wondering what the story will even be like.
It's like the record industry and remaking a song or a cover. They see it as a safe way to make money by recycling a hit, or in this case, cult classic. Especially now that DVD sales make more than the theater releases, they can at least assume they will make the money of production back.

Speaking of production, does anyone know if Drew Barrymore is on this project as a producer? I'd have to think it might not be a completely bad experience if she is.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

...oooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I agree with Altan. Donnie Darko one was movie that stood alone and having a sequel will just ruin that. Jake Gi------hall did a great job with his performance and I don't know what else they could do. It's going to ruin it like when they made Poison Ivy 2, Poison Ivy 3 and so-on. Stop ruining such epic movies, Hollywood!! >.<;

KZA_GFX

Registered Member
just because they are going to make a sequal
dosnt mean they'll ruin the 1st one
the will just be looked down upon for making a bad film

A bad sequel can ruin an entire franchise for some people. I have one friend who disliked the Godfather movies because the third installment totally ruined the entire story for him. He can't enjoy the first two because he just starts thinking about how much he hated the third. I have another friend who has a similar thing with the Star Wars series, where the prequels ruined the original trilogy for him.

Italiano

Film Elitist
just because they are going to make a sequal
dosnt mean they'll ruin the 1st one
the will just be looked down upon for making a bad film
Survey says that 8 times out of 10 these days a sequel is never as good as the first one or it completely bombs and like Valentine said, can sometimes ruin a franchise. Not all the time but there have been some unfortunate feats lately.

Examples: "Spider-Man 3", "X-Men 3", "Revenge of the Sith"

As a matter of fact I actually liked the third Godfather a little better than the second at certain times.

Mrs_Mike_Patton

Registered Member
That's quite possibly the worst news I've heard all day. Just watched DD again on the weekend, and it's such a great film. As for a sequel not ruining the first one, I have to disagree. I'm kinda like VV's friend - if a sequel really sucks, I can't watch the first one without thinking about how fucked up the second one is. Most times I solve that problem by not watching sequels. Doubtful I'll watch this one.