S.A.D

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by DinoFlintstone, Nov 6, 2008.

1. DinoFlintstone

DinoFlintstone "There can be only one!"

500,000? I don't know where they got that figure from, but I'd guess it's way higher... and then some.

I wonder if I've joined this forum just before the beginning of S.A.D season? With how I've been treated excluded [i.e I'm not talking about myself] I've noticed a huge decline in peoples behaviour here. Moods seem to go up and down.

Is this just the way it is?
    Is it something that happens annually [when most of us have winter]?
    Is it something that happens during bad weather [a hard one to judge unless all members give weather reports]?
    Or is it because a lot of members haven't quite made it to adult-hood yet?

Note, this thread isn't an invite to attack anyone or act like a Child. It's just a simple adult discussion.

2. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

It is true. My mood changes in the winter, by late January time I am yearning for the summer to arrive. I wish hibernation was a realistic option.

Its not just the lack of daylight hours that is depressing its the quality of the light during this period. I look outside and its that dull monochromatic grey, no blue sky, no fluffy white clouds or even dark scary ones its just a grey nothingness.. I have the lights switched on in my house now(its midday) as its to dark inside and I will have them on through out the day all through until next March/April. Why does this planet have to be tilted? why cant we have a straight one instead?

I should do as my mother does and go to the southern hemisphere for the northern hemispheres winter. Two summers its alright for some.

3. whateverdude_09

whateverdude_09 Registered Member

I rather like the winter...it has an air of rebirth to it, you know. like the world has died but you know that it will come back next year. the weather can get kind of dismal but, I like it. i kind of have weird preferences.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  4. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

I don't get the weather blues, but I live in the southern states and it doesn't get quite as cold here, and we don't get as much (if any) snow.

As for the forum, I am new and haven't noticed anyone treating me bad. I just try to treat others with respect until they give me a reason not to...and I guess it seems to work for me. That, or I don't take a little noob ribbing too personally.

5. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

I never want the summer to go away, that's one of the reasons for being in the south. I'm now resorted to wearing pants to work because it's so cold going in but when I leave today it should be close to 80 degrees.

6. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I get affected by the season from time to time but it's not that great to qualify as SAD - which has major depressive episodes (I don't have that).

As for the forum behavior, I've not been here a full year to notice any seasonal patterns. In my old forum though, they usually ban a lot of people around Spring that some members call it "Spring cleaning".

Anyway, if you have a big group with members all over the world, you can expect mood shifts related to the season anytime of the year. Some live in the southern hemisphere and the winter period is around june-august, unlike the northern hemisphere winter. There's also what you call a reverse seasonal affective disorder when people get more anxious or depressed around summertime.

Then there are people who are just naturally moody and it has nothing to do with SAD.

7. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

Can't someone's mood change without it being some kind of disorder? I understand there are people who do have disorders, but isn't it possible to feel depressed during the winter without it begin SAD?

And regarding where you noticed people here having a change in behavior, have you ever considered that any change in behavior here might have to do with the election?

Also, I like winter :3

8. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

Me too, infact I'd probably go as far to say I prefer winter to summer quite a lot... and I love it when it rains and gets dark early.

As for the SAD thing, maybe it does affect some members here, maybe it doesn't, I guess you will find out next summer :lol: But like AnitaKnapp said, havn't noticed people being nasty, treating others with respect and not taking anything too personally seems to work fine.

9. wolfheart

wolfheart Registered Member

I prefer the winter months,im not very good with summer heat!.
    I cant say i have ever met anyone with this disorder,but i can see why it would depress people,you get up for work and its still dark,you finish and its dark,and its cold!.
    That could get old fast.
    As for people changing around GF i have not been here long to notice

10. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

The further north I travel, the more alcohol abuse I see. I go places where the sun goes down in mid-November and comes up in late January. Its just so unnatural to live without the sun. Darkness and alcohol abuse go hand-in-hand. Tanning beds are a necessity.