• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Russian troops 50 miles from US

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Defense Minister Shoigu announced a new Russian military base about 50 miles from Alaska.
I think I know where this is leading. The base will be located in Chukotka and no huge surprise that it's near new Arctic shipping lanes, other Arctic bases, and increases naval power near Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, the disputed Kiril islands that border the sea of Okhotsk (did somebody say Japan?), and the new drilling projects on Sakhalin.

It may also be about the new Vostochny Cosmodrome near Uglegorsk. Nothing yet about an American response but you know there will be one.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/russia-going-deploy-division-troops-200127157.html

Imo, the world needs more theme parks, not more military.
Thoughts?

Knight_of_Albion

Registered Member
As both sides could annihilate the world many times over from long distance, I wouldn't lose any sleep over the 50 miles.

What does disturb is the looming desecration of the pristine polar regions by oil exploration and drilling - which must be inevitable one would think - and 'dumping'* and pollution caused by shipping using the newly opened sea routes.
[* If you live by the coast, you'll know that all manner of garbage gets tossed over the side and washes up on the shore.]

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I would agree we could use more theme parks not military bases. However Chukotka is Russian territory so they can do there what they like as we can and do in Alaska. Now the Kuril Islands is another story, if they are being disputed Russia shouldn't be building anything there unless they are wanting to force a war over it.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Yeah, 50 miles would be nothing in a nuclear conflict but it raises tensions. That;s why I'm expecting a response. A few years ago, the Air Force scrambled jets when a Russian plane was 50 miles from our coastline so a new US base will probaly be built in Alaska.

Btw, it's not like I'm all over the Arctic drilling either. Imo, it could speed up the climate change issue and cause more ice to melt faster.

About the Kiril islands - The four southern Kiril islands - Shikotan, Khabomai, Iturup, and Kunashir - are disputed by Japan. There was never a treaty after WW2 so they were claimed by the SSR;s. Also, the Russian Defense Minister has plans for those too and some military facilities have already been built.
Russian Navy may create Pacific Fleet base in Kuril Islands — defense minister

Those islands could help interface Chukotka and Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky with the Pacific fleet in Vladivostok so I seriously doubt that any treaty will be signed that forfeits the southern islands to Japan. I'll totally be following this story...

UPDATE:
Also no huge surprise that Putin's talks today with Japan's PM didn't resolve the island dispute.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/russias-putin-meets-japanese-pm-discuss-peace-deal-091514537.html

Last edited: