• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Russia & Qatar get World Cup bids

Bjarki

Registered Member
They were the favourites :rolleyes:

Too bad 2018 isn't hosted here, I think we made a good offer. But at the same time, I can see how Russia is far more interesting.
Qatar... I don't know. They will build nice stadions that's for sure.. but the scenery.. meh.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
It's got to be a fix, the other bidding Countries already had the facilities to host the World Cup, and England would be able to host a few games in the Olympic stadium - which is supposed to be massive!

Although, i heard there was a possibility of Leeds hosting one of the games, bad idea, the stadium is a shit hole T.T

Either way, i think Countries who qualified for the last World Cup should only have been allowed to bid, seeing as the majority of the time they are countries who thoroughly enjoy the game and are well known for that.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Russia I get that but Qatar?? Do they even have a soccer/football team in Qatar? It just totally caught me off guard but truth be told I don't follow all of this as much as a lot of people probably do. Qatar just seems completely random.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is going to angry a lot of Americans. Qatar doesn't deserve it, and the weather is brutal there. It's usually 120 degrees. I think it was fixed as well, I don't have a huge issue with Russia, but Qatar makes no sense whatsoever to me and by the looks of it to a lot of other people too.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
The latest headline in England is 'England's Brilliant Bid Not Good Enough'.

If it was brilliant, how was it beaten out in the first round? Fair enough it was last minute, but apparently Russia's was really simple.

God, can you imagine travelling across Russia to the stadiums? Watch them spread them really far apart!

Bjarki

Registered Member
Qatar already hosts important sporting events, like the tennis tourney at Doha, as well as the F1 GP there. There's a lot of money there.

I watch the cycling tour of Qatar each year and you know.. it's nicely organized, but the public interest there is zero. It's only the princes who care. So yeah.. everytime they ride there there is no crowd near the roads, just empty desert roads. At the finish there is usually like 20 people max. It's pretty sad.
It will be different with the world cup with supporters from all regions of the globe, but still.. I don't know whether they will be able to create an atmosphere of their own.
It is a safe place to be though, very tidy too.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I'm not sure why you guys are this surprised or even this against the idea. First of all, I think it's a great idea to give other "unlikely" countries a chance to host as apposed to the usual suspects. It brings a whole new and exciting aspect to the sport as well as excellent exposure of the actual sport to countries less likely.

Russia is a beautiful country and I doubt they will spread it too wide across the country. The majority of the land area there is rural. It would likely be St. Petersburg and Moscow and in between those cities. There is nothing much happening more to the east. But those cities alone and surrounding areas have so much to offer and see.

Qatar on the flipside has a lot of good things going for it as far as hosting a WC goes. Like Bjarki mentioned, it's very save, they are great organisers and they have loads of money, so the stadiums will be amazing. Unlike Russia, Qatar is small and getting around will be cheap and easy. Getting TO Qatar will be easy from almost anywhere as they are centrally located. There may not be too much to do in Qatar itself, but they are surrounded with the other Emirates, so side trips will be easy and again, cheap.

Hats off to FIFA on what I think are two excellent host chosen!

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I suppose Qatar has 12 years to become relevant. I'll be anxiously awaiting that day. I'm sure the players will be really excited to play in 120 degree heat.

The fact it's such a small country makes me nervous though. Can it even handle the large crowds? I suppose as long as FIFA is making bank they could care less. I'll say one thing, it's a ballsy move by FIFA. Hopefully Qatar practices playing the sport in the mean time too.

Maybe I'm just annoyed because the United States got overlooked. Or maybe it's just a ridiculous decision. You be the judge.