• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Russell Wilson on path to greatness

ReasontoBelieve

Registered Member
Ok so the Seahawks won the Superbowl in the 2013 season. Well it was good to see for once that a team that lost in 2006 against the Steelers finally would get their first trophy.
Now it seems that Russell Wilson believes he's going to be one of the best QB's in all NFL history.

First of all if anyone had watched their last few games they were not exactly considered a high scoring team. What really made the team is the defense that has had the ability to totally mess up the opponents offense and qb strategy.

For example when they played against the 49er's in the NFC championship I think the Seahawks only had a field goal in the half. The 49er's I think had 10 points. The Seahawks scored another field goal in the 2nd half, thenthe 49er's another TD. I really thought the Seahawks were going to lose this game. But what actually happened is that the Seahawks made it impossible for Kaepernick to bring the 49er's close enought to the field goal range area. I mean it was almost impossible yet in foot ball anything is possible.

So I don't think Russell Wilson is as good as he thinks he is. When you think about all these QB Hall of Famers Russell Wilson is opening his mouth a bit too soon. Because even if you're a good QB and you have a lousy offense or defense your numbers won't be what you expected. Ones number also depends on the whole team.

Here's an article about Wilson's greatness.
Russell Wilson's career on Tom Brady-like path - ESPN

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Wilson won because he was a very good quarterback on a great team. The Seahawks were stacked, well coached, and destined for greatness. He won't be in the same boat as Unitas, Montana, Brady, Manning, Marino, and so on and so forth until he can prove to be a consistent leader both on and off of the field for 8-10 years. He'll be in the discussion in about four to five more seasons.

Give him a corps of shit WRs behind a shit offensive line with no pass defense and we'll see how his team fares. The NFL's game is a team game and I'm sick of hearing individuals being put up on pedestals for the benefit of the fans and media.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
31 other teams have quarterbacks who wish they had the season Russell Wilson had. Playing quarterback isn't all about recording pretty statistics. Wilson made big plays in crucial situations and did a lot of things that don't show up on the stat sheet. Yes, football is a team game, but he was a key component to the team's success.

I don't think anyone is saying he's one of the all-time greats just yet. Wilson said it's his goal to be the best. There's nothing wrong with setting high goals for yourself.

Konshentz

Konshentz
The NFL's game is a team game and I'm sick of hearing individuals being put up on pedestals for the benefit of the fans and media.
Even when they deserve it?

I don't think Wilson will ever make it to the Brady or Manning level, but he definitely has a shot at grabbing a second ring and putting even more distance between himself and the Kaepernicks and Newtons.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
31 other teams have quarterbacks who wish they had the season Russell Wilson had. Playing quarterback isn't all about recording pretty statistics. Wilson made big plays in crucial situations and did a lot of things that don't show up on the stat sheet. Yes, football is a team game, but he was a key component to the team's success.

I don't think anyone is saying he's one of the all-time greats just yet. Wilson said it's his goal to be the best. There's nothing wrong with setting high goals for yourself.
This hit the nail on the head. Playing QB is making the right decision at the right time, and making good reads and calling the right audibles. There are a TON of things a QB does that does not show up on the state sheet. Wilson is a very good QB, he makes very good decisions, especially the bigger the game is. I love the fact that he believes in himself enough to say this, and I think if he continues to show the kind of decision making skills over a period of time, he might just be in the conversation of who is a great QB.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
For me, a Seahawks hater, is really hard for me to like anyone one that team. Russell Wilson is a guy who I just cannot root against though. He's a special person.

And like others have said he's a very good player and yes, good players around him helped out a lot, but not everyone would have made the plays that he did make.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
To be fair Joe Montana never played with shit WR's and a bad OL and a crappy defense, in fact he played with the GOAT when it comes to WR's and he's considered top 3 all time. Yes Wilson has a great supporting cast, he still makes plays when he needs to. I'll admit I didn't think much of him coming out of college, his lack of size didn't make me think he would be very successful, boy was I wrong.