• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Russell Westbrook on a tear

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Russell Westbrook is on a goddamn tear. Triple double last night.

His February averages are 29.5 ppg, 8.2 rpg, 10.1 apg. Season averages are 25.9-6.5-8.0.

For comparison's sake, the averages for all four of LeBron's MVP seasons are 28.0-7.7-7.3.

The MVP vote should be intriguing this year.

Only once have teammates won the MVP in consecutive years: Cousy in '57 and Russell in '58.

Other intrigues:

* 1 guy with 2 names won it back to back: Alcindor in '71 and Abdul-Jabbar in '72

* Moses Malone won it in '82 with Rockets and '83 with the Sixers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Most_V ... ayer_Award

knickstape2107

Registered Member
Westbrook has been playing amazing recently. Had 4 straight triple doubles but that streak ended today against the Bulls. Yet he still had 43 pts, 8 rebs, 7 asts. Incredible. He's definitely in the MVP conversation, but OKC hasn't been winning a lot even w/ Russ playing this well. I think Harden is #1, Westbrook a close #2 for MVP right now. Steph Curry would be #3.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
You're right, Knickstape, that 34-28 record will hurt him. Players on teams barely above .500 in the 8th playoff spot don't win the NBA MVP award. Seems to be one of those unwritten rules that the MVP's team has to have a great season too.

That said, I think Westbrook certainly is "a" favorite, along with Curry, Harden and perhaps Lebron. But if it's a close call expect the benefit of the doubt to go to the player on the better team

thegreatone1964

Registered Member
It will be very hard for Russ to win MVP. He isn't likeable. He had that whole blowup with the press where he acted like an asshole. His Usage Rate is a ridiculous 38.4, and guys are now posting Twitter Vines where he won't pass the ball to wide open guys. If Durant doesn't return, Westbrook is almost certain to shatter the season mark for Usage held by Kobe from 2004-05. I don't know if we can break it down into Durant games versus non-Durant games, but I would bet in non-Durant games his Usage is 40-42%. That is ball hogging it at a level 12% or so above Kobe at his worst. That doesn't win you MVPs.

The easiest way to deny Russ the MVP is to just point to the fact that he has missed 17 games. If you miss 20% of the season, how can you be MVP? Said another way, for total Win Shares collected, he is at only a tie for 12th place. Even if he gets 0.3 WS/game for the last 20 games, that is only gonna get him to 13.8 WS. Currently, the Win Shares List goes:
1. James Harden ▪ HOU 12.4
2. Stephen Curry ▪ GSW 11.5
3. Chris Paul ▪ LAC 11.3
4. Anthony Davis ▪ NOP 10.3
5. DeAndre Jordan ▪ LAC 9.5
6. Jimmy Butler ▪ CHI 9.4

Barring some injury to, or utter collapse by, any of these 6 guys, Russ is unlikely to reach top 6 in the league in Win Shares. Guys do not win MVP awards if they are 7th in WS, unless their teams are very high playoff seeds (OKC will not be a high seed). Even in WS/48, Russ is 5th in the league, Again, Curry and Harden are above him on this list as well. They have played more games and their teams have better records.

I would be stunned if Westbrook finished even top 2 in the MVP balloting. Guys don't want to vote for him, and there are many logical reasons not to.

knickstape2107

Registered Member
thegreatone1964 said:
It will be very hard for Russ to win MVP. He isn't likeable. He had that whole blowup with the press where he acted like an asshole. His Usage Rate is a ridiculous 38.4, and guys are now posting Twitter Vines where he won't pass the ball to wide open guys. If Durant doesn't return, Westbrook is almost certain to shatter the season mark for Usage held by Kobe from 2004-05. I don't know if we can break it down into Durant games versus non-Durant games, but I would bet in non-Durant games his Usage is 40-42%. That is ball hogging it at a level 12% or so above Kobe at his worst. That doesn't win you MVPs.

The easiest way to deny Russ the MVP is to just point to the fact that he has missed 17 games. If you miss 20% of the season, how can you be MVP? Said another way, for total Win Shares collected, he is at only a tie for 12th place. Even if he gets 0.3 WS/game for the last 20 games, that is only gonna get him to 13.8 WS. Currently, the Win Shares List goes:
1. James Harden ▪ HOU 12.4
2. Stephen Curry ▪ GSW 11.5
3. Chris Paul ▪ LAC 11.3
4. Anthony Davis ▪ NOP 10.3
5. DeAndre Jordan ▪ LAC 9.5
6. Jimmy Butler ▪ CHI 9.4

Barring some injury to, or utter collapse by, any of these 6 guys, Russ is unlikely to reach top 6 in the league in Win Shares. Guys do not win MVP awards if they are 7th in WS, unless their teams are very high playoff seeds (OKC will not be a high seed). Even in WS/48, Russ is 5th in the league, Again, Curry and Harden are above him on this list as well. They have played more games and their teams have better records.

I would be stunned if Westbrook finished even top 2 in the MVP balloting. Guys don't want to vote for him, and there are many logical reasons not to.
I agree that Westbrook won't win MVP, but it's definitely close. You can't say he's a ball hog and doesn't pass the ball when he just had 4 consecutive games w/ triple doubles. If I am correct, I believe he's the first player since Oscar Robertson to average 30-10-9 for a month. And, he's averaging 27.4 PPG, 7 RPG, 8.1 APG. He's 1st in points, 4th in assists, and 3rd in steals per game. Westbrook is averaging more points, rebounds, and assists than Stephen Curry and James Harden. He's been carrying the Thunder since Durant went out with injury. I think Harden will, and should win MVP, but Westbrook is a close #2.

BourneofDarkness15

Registered Member
He's having an unbelievable run, won't win the MVP but he's carrying this team right now.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Westbrook: 27.3 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 8.3 apg, 43/29/84, 29.84 PER, 7 triple doubles
Harden: 27.0, 5.8, 7.1, 45-38-87, 26.78 PER, 3 triple doubles
Curry: 23.6, 4.4, 7.8, 48/42/90, 27.81 PER, 0 triple doubles
James: 26.0, 5.8, 7.3, 49/35/71, 26.13 PER, 0 triple doubles
Davis: 24.5, 10.3, 1.8 (but 2.8 blocks), 54.5/11/83 31.52 PER, 0 triple doubles
This is going to be a fascinating vote. They're all just complete studs.