Running

WesJones87

RayzorBlade87
So I'm thinking of taking up running.

The thing is, I have never ran in my life (except for a little while on a treadmill). I just wondered if there were any runners on here and if so, how did you start out? Did you push yourself straight away or did you start slowly, doing less than you could to get used to it?

storm_ina_C_cup

Registered Member
I run on a daily basis and I do about 2 miles sometimes 2.5. If you're not used to working out (cardio) your best bet is to begin jogging first, then work your way into running since you're new to it. Be sure to stretch properly before you begin jogging / running, too, and don't push yourself beyond your physical limits. :)

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Take your time when you start, just try to build up stamina and endurance, no need to rush into anything. After a few weeks you'll see that you can go "faster" and further.

Make sure that you wear comfortable shoes, because after awhile it can get painful.

I don't for the rest of the people here, but music helps me a lot.

BigBob

Registered Member
Like Babe said, music works. It keeps your mind off how tired you are and how tired your legs are. I use to be able to run a couple miles, but if you're use to running on a treadmill, it may take you a bit to get use to running outside.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
My preference can be different than yours, or someone else. So just go to the shoe store, and find a running shoe that is comfortable on you. Obviously it will be a bit hard to judge because you can't actually run in the store with them on. But you can still somewhat tell if their going to be comfortable while you run.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Thanks. Can anybody recommend a good running shoe? Or does it not matter so long as they are comfortable?
I don't really run, but I can tell you that getting the right shoes will be the most important thing. Everyone has different feet, so there's no shoe that will work for everyone. I'd highly recommend going to a shoe store that has knowledgeable salespeople who will be able to find the right shoes to fit your feet. You might also want to get a good pair of insoles that will offer more support than the cheap ones that come in most shoes.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Start slowly, have frequent breaks when you get tired and then keep going because that will push you even harder.