Running up the score(Spin-off)

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Babe_Ruth, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

This is a spin-off to the Minnesota/Dallas thread about running up the score.

I know we've had a few similar topics like these, but I'm curious to know what you guys think of this, especially the ones who said that "you should stop them" or "people complaing about running up the score are sore losers" ect.

Yates boys set Texas scoring record in 170-35 win | High School Sports | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

I know their only high school kids, but in the end it's the same thing. This game happened at the beginning of the month.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

But it's not the same thing. The other thread was about professional sports where you're paid to win and play big. This is high school, it's about building that team spirit and having fun. There's not so much concern about overplaying the star players and shit like that. Personally, I think if you can't stop a team from scoring, that's your fault, no one else's. I don't believe in mercy rules when it comes to football to be honest because it's an aggressive game with the "go big or go home" mentality.

But high school I'd see as even less of that since it's more about just having fun and playing for the sake of the game.

3. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

To me I see it as sort of the same thing to be honest with you, I know these kids aren’t getting paid like the professionals are but High School basketball is just as competitive. These guys are playing for a State Championship, which is just as important to them as winning the Larry O’Brien trophy in the NBA at that point and time. They play for a reason just like the pro’s are doing, same thing goes for College kids.

4. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

Cons is right, two totally different things.I don't feel bad for pro teams that can't stop someone from scoring on them, they are professionals and it's their job. High school, they're just kids - I think running up the score is much more of a big deal then.