• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Rumored Rule Changes to "Fix Offense"

rolewiii

I wanted to start a thread to get an idea of everyone's feelings on rule changes in baseball. Baseball is very much a romantic sport and rule changes scare the old white guys in charge. There are some things that I would love to see changed, but honestly I love the old game and the tradition of it all. You do, however, have to move with the times.

The Pitch Clock
I'm on board with a pitch clock. I absolutely loathe watching Yankees and Red Sox games. They're insufferable. I think most pitchers would have to deal with a slight adjustment period, but would eventually find a new groove. Perhaps even thrive in a faster-paced approach. Look at guys like Buerhle. Quickness is no issue. I don't see this affecting offense much, but rather improving the pace of The Game - which we can all agree needs help.

Universal DH
DH in both leagues or no DH at all. There is no advantage whatsoever to having this rule different in both leagues. None of the other major sports have such a glaring rule difference in leagues (actually, I can't speak for basketball because it's dumb and I don't watch it.) National League games can be more interesting with the amount of payers and matchups you see, but it's also disappointing to see a pitcher cruising through six innings and being lifted because a guy reaches second on an error in the top of the 7th. In contrast, AL games can tend to be more boring and predictable - but definitely have greater offensive capability.
The DH also leads to a few more jobs for fringe players. (What's Randy Ruiz up to?)

Related: Let DHs into the Hall of Fame.

Lower The Mound
They did this in 1968 and offense certainly improved. Will it this time? I don't know - but keep in mind there was no drug testing and suspensions in the 1970's. Lowering the mound effectively changes the plane of the ball heading to the plate and will result in an easier trajectory for more solid contact, more wild pitches and more injuries. This is one of those things MLB shouldn't touch.

Raise the Strike Zone
There is some traction to this one, with taking away the lower strike (top of knee, rather than bottom of knee). My thoughts on this: Please, no. The umpires strike zone is already nauseatingly inconsistent and even worse - subjective. Umpires had no accountability for the abhorrent strike zones for different players (say, Derek Jeter and Yasiel Puig.) If you want more consistent, proper strike zone: make the umpires accountable for ALL calls. If they call a pitch a strike far enough outside the zone? Fine them. Blow a call on a young pitcher who just nailed the corner versus a veteran hitter? FINE THEM.

The biggest concern in all of this is that baseball is really clawing for the casual fan. To hell with them. True baseball fans are the ones that watch every damn game, not the ones that jump on the bandwagon on September 20th every season.

Let me know your thoughts.

goingtopshelf

Registered Member
rolewiii said:
The Pitch Clock
I'm on board with a pitch clock...
I'm not a fan of the clock. the beauty of baseball is that it has no time frame in which the game needs to fit in. You basically get what you get somedays it's a tight 2-1 game in 2:20 and other days it's an 11-9 slugfest that takes 3:45.

One thing you have to remember here with drastic changes is that they require MLBPA approval. I don;t remember who it was but within the last two weeks I heard an interview on MLB Radio with a player, a pitcher, who is his club's union rep. His paraphrased quote was do not hold your breathe on a pitch clock. I have to believe that is the union's stance and most likely his personal feeling as well.

Universal DH
DH in both leagues or no DH at all...
If you ever see a change in this rule I really think it will be the addition of the DH to the National League. The reason I see is simple, in that the MLBPA will not give up 15 DH slots for players playing (nearly) everyday and making good money for a guy who as a pinch hitter, part-time player in the field will make significantly less. Unions don't like losing jobs or wages and while you will still have that roster spot it would be under paid compared to what a decent to top caliber DH makes.

As for raising the strike zone I totally agree with you it's subjective to begin with so leave it where it is. It changed greatly when the umpires went away from the balloon chest protector to the inside the jacket protector it allowed them to call the low strike and as a result it brought the strike zone down several inches. To me it's fine where it is.

I'm also for not lowering the mound I think the hitters would have too much of advantage and it's fine where it is. I've said many times I would love to have seen the 1999-2000 version of Pedro Martinez on the mound that the 1968 Bob Gibson pitched on. I truly feel Pedro would have beaten Gibson 1.12 ERA mark if on the mound and by a lot.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Pitch Clock: That's the beauty of the game (as frustrating as it may be at times) is that there's no clock compared to most of the other major sports. I wouldn't mess with it. Why not decrease the amount of commercials?

Universal DH: This might be the most old school rule change of them all. Like it or not, the DH will stay. No way the Player's Association is going to agree to its demise. So, time to implement it in the NL.....even though I hate the DH, it is what it is.

Raise the mound: Keep the mound the same. The problem is that the talent is too diluted due to too many teams. Don't change the measurements of the game to compensate for poor batting technique and less than major league skills. Fundamentals should still drive success

Raise the Strike zone: Umpires have been used to this current strike zone for too long to be able to make a consistent change now. If MLB truly wants to alter the strike zone, they'll have to do it with electronic equipment; otherwise there will be far too much inconsistency between the different umps

justamania

I personally think the game is perfect the way it is. It is the era of pitching. We are in a time where we are seeing a group of pitchers who are the most dominant of all times. I think we just gotta embrace that, focus marketing around that. Another hitting boom will come, just have to let it happen organically. These players are training and preparing harder then they have have before, it be a shame theyd change rules to give a certain group a disadvantage