Movies Rumor: Will Smith Cast as Captain America?!

Vegito728

Registered Member
Stop the press! This just in - an enormous casting rumor for Captain America has just hit! Apparently Derek Luke, who stars in the upcoming Miracle at St. Anna, told MTV that "they offered Will Smith Captain America." You heard that right, apparently the latest superhero casting rumor to hit is that Will Smith is Captain America!

This is very, very far from being official or confirmed, so just be sure you know that this is one big rumor, nothing more. It's such a big rumor, that I couldn't go without posting it, so here it is to discuss. Is this good news? It could be! Will Smith is undoubtedly an incredible actor - at least in movies like The Pursuit of Happyness and I Am Legend. I'm just wondering if it'll be too big of a shock for most comic book readers to accept?

"Just shows you how times have changed," Luke mentioned. I hate to bring this up, but I think it'll be the most poignant area of a discussion: a black Captain America. To be perfectly clear, I have no problem with it, and I support Will Smith. However, as far as I know, there hasn't been a black Captain America in the comics or in the character's 67 year history.

But that's all besides the point, especially since we saw Samuel Jackson take on the role of Nick Fury in Iron Man. The First Avenger: Captain America is slated to hit theaters on May 6th, 2011, so we've got some time before they finalize this role. And considering Matthew McConaughey was rumored before, don't expect this news to be the final news for a while. So what do you think - could Will Smith pull off Captain America??
Source: Rumor: Will Smith Cast as Captain America?! « FirstShowing.net

I know a lot people will probably have a problem with Captain America not being played by a white guy but I honestly see no problem with it. There's no doubt in my mind that Will Smith would be a good Captain America.

But remember, it's just a rumor and it's only Captain America.

Thoughts everyone?

Saucepan

Registered Member
I doubt this is true. If only because Will Smith was recently in Hancock, just seems unlikely to go from that to a genuine comic book hero.

Eilt_Druin

Registered Member
There has been a black Captain America in the comics before, but the way it relates to the story of the main guy to wear the suit is something that is very race based. It just wouldn't be the same person at all if they used a black actor for the main fellow in the movie.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Of course, if people speak out against this casting, they'll all be shot down as racists.

:/

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
Kind of like I had to get used to a black Green Lantern on the old Justice League episodes....

It'll be weird having Smith though. Not saying he'd make Captain America any less American :lol:, but it'd just be an adjustment fans will have to get used to. If this rumor is true, and Will Smith does a good job, he'll be a fan hero. If it ends up bombing, the casting will go under intense criticism.