PlayStation 3 Rumor: PS3 Wont play borrowed/Used games

SamusAran86

Registered Member
http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=23921409

Wow... this would be very stupid for sony to put into the PS3. Basically according to the rumor, Sony has come up with a way that when you but a game, it registers it to your machine, making it unplayably on any other machine. Which would also make PS3 games un-rentable, among making the games untradeable or resellable.

As the article says, Sony has the technology, but it's too early to tell if it will use it.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Re: Rumor: PS3 Wont lay borrowed/Used games

Wow. That would be really dumb. What if your PS3 breaks and you have to buy a new one. You'd have to re-purchase all of your games? I don't think Sony is stupid enough to actually use this in the PS3. We'll see, though.

CrispyCocaine

Registered Member

I think my friend plays A lot of rented games on his ps2 and I think he'll be mighty disappointed if he can't play rented games for ps3. He might even actully get an Xbox 360 now.

So, I do hope this is true.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.

If this is true, then I'm done with Sony. I'll just get myself a 360 and Revo. and be happy with sharing games with my friends. Sony can go blow a goat if they think this is going to encourage me to buy my third generation of Sony.`

SamusAran86

Registered Member
it is a very stupid idea, why would they even think about implementing this technology?

I have been wrong before, but I dont really think they would do this, why, because just like come of the responses here, people will flock away in droves

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Don't forget the people who trade up at the end of the generation, they'd never be able to trade it in if they had too many games. Sony would need it's own rental system. Then again, they have their own DVD format, so who knows if they'll try this. I've been a fanboy since the original PSX, and this would turn me off completely. It's like Communism, a good idea but poorly carried out.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
No, this is just a bad idea that can't possibly be carried out in a positive way. It's something EA would do. Sony is getting greedy like that. But like I said, they'd have to be really stupid to actually do it.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well, the coin has two sides.

Think of PC games. You can't rent those, and it's somewhat harder to lend them out since your keycode has to go along with each game.

I don't think the console world is ready for that kind of restriction though. That's why people buy consoles in the first place. They are gaming specific machines meant for playing games on. Everyone is used to renting and borrowing games. This is what console gaming is all about. So now you can't take your games to your friends house because it can't be "installed" or whatever on their system? This is how PC's work. I'm fine with it for PC's, but why would I buy a console that had the same restrictions, only worse?

I wouldn't.

Mr_Snipes

Registered Member
I have to agree. If I couldn't take a game to a friends to play because it won't allow it I would not buy anything for that console. It is fine with computers because computers are used for so many things other than just gaming and a console is not.