• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Rule changes in golf

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The USGA and R&A have announced a list of proposed changes that would go into effect starting in 2019.

-It'll be OK to putt and leave the flagstick in the hole.

-It'll be OK to remove loose impediments in bunkers.

-No more using caddies to help in player alignment.

-Three minutes to look for a lost ball, not five.

-Range finders are OK at any level of play.
There's more, but those are the ones that stood out to me.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
None of them stand out as huge deals to me, but as with baseball I think some sports don't need a ton of changes. If they're trying to get people to watch by saying they're cutting time, my opinion is the same with both sports as well...people tune in to watch the sport, and a few minutes won't change whether they tune in. Either you love golf or you don't.

I wonder what pros will think about lack of caddie help...talking to caddies has always seemed to be a part of the game, right?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I wonder what pros will think about lack of caddie help...talking to caddies has always seemed to be a part of the game, right?
You mostly see this with LPGA players and their caddies –

The caddies will be standing behind them to make sure the player is aiming where they're supposed to be aiming.

Impaired

Registered Member
I made the mistake of working on a golf course for a Scottish groundskeeper when I was in high school.

My hatred of golf is immense, although it does not extend to mini-golf or the driving range.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
You mostly see this with LPGA players and their caddies –

The caddies will be standing behind them to make sure the player is aiming where they're supposed to be aiming.
Ohh ok, I must have been thinking of club selection convos and the like. What do you think of the changes @Babe_Ruth ?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Ohh ok, I must have been thinking of club selection convos and the like. What do you think of the changes @Babe_Ruth ?
Putting on the green and leaving the flagstick in hole is a no brainer to get rid of.

Overall, I have no issues with the new rules. I wish they had gotten rid of stroke-and-distance for OB, though.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Babe_Ruth Baseball 4
rolewiii Baseball 3
BigBob NFL 8
StroShow Baseball 6
I NBA 6