Royals ace Greinke wins AL Cy Young

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

2. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

He finished that far back, eh?

No offense but that's funny. Just because. :)

Greinke was the clear cut favorite in this one...congrats to him and to the Royals. Finally, you've won something!

3. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

Very deserving award, Grienke had a great season and deserved the Cy Young.

4. Babe_Ruth

It's not funny at all, once again the voters look more at wins then ERA.

Just look at the number Verlander had a 3.45 ERA which I consider fairly high, Halladay finished with a 2.79 ERA. Both of these pitchers threw 240 innings(Halladay threw 239)

Verlander WHIP was at 1.285 while Halladay's was at 1.126, Doc allowed 35 Walks all season, yes 35 if that doesn't say control I don't know what does. Justin allowed 63.

Halladay allowed 75 ER while Verlander allowed 92. There's no point in discussing Strikeouts because I think it's an overrated categorie.

I can't find the run support, but I have a feeling that Verlander got more than Halladay especially that he had 19 wins with a 3.45 ERA.

So that's why I call it utter bullshit.

5. Millz

Well he finished 5th in the voting...

Greinke 1
    King Felix 2
    Verlander 3
    Sabathia 4
    Halladay 5

The writers are usually pretty stupid but I think they at least got the top 2 correct. And since only 1st place matters I think its a moot point/

6. Babe_Ruth

I don't think it's a moot point because when his career his all said and done people will look at what position he finished in the voting of the Cy Young third place definitely looks better than fifth place, by a landslide as well.

That's one of the reasons why I'm so mad about it, other reason being that Halladay deserves it more than Verlander, and arguably Sabathia.

7. Millz

You honestly think people are going to look back and see he got 5th in Cy Young voting and think worse of him as a result?

It might be just me but I don't think something like that is going to keep him out of the Hall of Fame.

8. Babe_Ruth

I don't believe it's going to keep him out of the Hall of Fame, I just think people will look back at his career and look at certain things, and this is one of those things. I know it sounds foolish. But everytime I hear analyst talk about people's career, especially pitchers they'll say he' won two Cy Youngs, finished third that year, they'll never say if a pitcher finished fourth or fifth.

Sorry lol, but that's how I fill.

9. Millz

I don't blame you for feeling this way and I'd probably be the same way if it were my pitcher. But at the end of the day I dont think it'll matter that much. And honestly, I don't think he was stand and away better then Verlander or Sabathia...I'd call it more of a toss up. :cool:

10. Babe_Ruth

Lets say I put up Verlander numbers and Halladay's numbers side by side like I did in a previous post but didn't add the name of Roy or Justin which pitching stats would you select and want on your team for a full season? I'm talking about the stats right now, not the pitcher itself or his past history. Just the stats for the 2009 season.