Rox confirm Helton talks with Red Sox

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

GREELEY, Colo. -- Rockies CEO Charlie Monfort acknowledged on Saturday that he is exploring the financial ramifications of a proposed trade that would send first baseman Todd Helton to the Red Sox.

Monfort, who spoke Saturday at the 20th annual Greeley Friends of Baseball Breakfast in his hometown, said "in the 15 years I've been here, it seems like one percent of all deals get made," but that this one is being explored. Monfort also said that Helton, who has a complete no-trade clause, has indicated in early conversations that he'd be amenable to a trade to the Red Sox.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/...ontent_id=1787926&vkey=hotstove2006&fext=.jsp

2. andrew_bishop

andrew_bishop #1 Spammer of FC

If this went through then would Helton go to third or would David Ortiz become a full time DH. Either way its a good deal for the Bo Sox as long as they don't give up too much for him. Helton is a big clutch hitter and could help out the always dangerous Red Sox lineup.

3. Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy Registered Member

Ortiz already is a full time DH with only a few game exceptions when Hinske needs a day off. I'm sure they're courting Helton to take Hinske's spot at first.

Hoosier.

4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

All I have to say is the BoSox lineup is going to look flat out deadly if they added Helton in there. I hope they're able to get a deal.

5. Hoosier_Daddy

The way they're building the team this season I think the Jays will be out of the AL East race before the first pitch of 2007 is thrown.

Hoosier.

6. Babe_Ruth

No they won't trust me, we added a lot of good players this season as well, if Thomas stays healthy, and I know it's a big IF, but if he does then our line up will be scary. Just imagine this:

Reed Johnson
    Alex Rios
    Veron Wells
    Troy Glaus
    Frank Thomas
    Lyle Overbay
    Greg Zaun
    Royce Clayton
    Aaron Hill

Now that's a pretty scary line up if everyone stays healthy, and our starting rotation is looking good as well. So I don't think the Jays are fearing anyone.

7. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

According to ESPN.com, the trade for Helton would most likely send 3B Mike Lowell and relief Pitcher Julian Tavarez to the Rockies along with a prospect or two. However, the Rockies want relief pitchers, like Manny Delcarmen or Craig Hansen, neither of whom the Sox are willing to trade.

I think Helton would be worth Lowell and Tavarez, perhaps a prospect too, but not both like the Rockies want.

8. Hoosier_Daddy

Mark my word, Vince, the Jays will finish no better than third in the AL East, having no shot at all at a wild card birth.

Hoosier.

9. Babe_Ruth

Alright man, I'll make sure that to write that down on a piece of paper. See a lot of you guys don't know much about the Blue Jays, because there the only Canadian team in the Major League, so they don't get much exposure, but you mark my word the Jays will finish 1st or 2nd in the A.L East, and they will have a huge chance of winning the Wild Card, they will surprise a lot of people and teams this season.