Rowdy Roddy Piper's cancer returns

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Man, this really sucks. He's one of the all time greats

:(

http://rajah.com/base/node/17313

As reported yesterday, WWE Hall of Famer "Rowdy" Roddy Piper was recently forced to pull out of a number of previously scheduled appearances as a result of a serious illness. In a sad update on the situation, I can confirm that his cancer has returned. However, this time it's believed to be terminal as he's not expected to live much longer.
According to a well-placed source within World Wrestling Entertainment, Vince McMahon has informed creative to prepare to scrap a segment or two for next week's Raw as he is planning on running a few video tributes honoring the wrestling legend — just in case.

Piper, 55, was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma in November 2006 after doctors found a cancerous tumor on a disc in his spine. Back discomfort had forced Piper to leave WWE's tour of Europe and return to North America in order to undergo surgery. In the weeks that followed, Piper spent the majority of his time in a local hospital, undergoing extensive radiation treatment in hopes of vanquishing the cancer that had invaded his body. While the cancer would eventually disappear, as noted, it recently returned.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is a shame, he fought so hard to combar his first illness and now he's diagnose again. My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family.

wolfheart

Registered Member
This is a real shame, I loved watching Piper when I was younger, its sad that this has happened to him, my thoughts go out to his family and friends.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
To me he's one of the best heels of all time, he might be loved by the fans today, but back in the 80's everyone hated, which is a good thing because it means that he did his job well. He wasn't the best in the ring but he could handle himself. He excelled on the microphone though, he was one of the best in the business on the stick.

wolfheart

Registered Member
I loved him as the bad guy, and the simplicity of some of his in ring antics, standing there and poking someone in the eye always made me laugh reminded me of the Three Stooges.

Pipers Pit was always entertaining to watch too, but like you said he was hated by fans for some of the stuff he did, hitting Jimmy Snuka with a coconut if I remember rightly erned him a whole host of new people hating him.
He always looked like he could handle himself in an all out brawl as well as wrestle, he will be missed when he passes.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
That's funny you know all this stuff Wolfheart, the reason being is because we never see you posting in the Wrestling section.

But I agree with you Piper's Pit was great, that's when he was at his best in my opinion, the beating he gave Snuka was priceless and so entertaining. I'll always remember when he took that fire extinguisher and turned it on Morton Downey Jr because he kept blowing smoke in his face. That was priceless.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
That's funny you know all this stuff Wolfheart, the reason being is because we never see you posting in the Wrestling section.

But I agree with you Piper's Pit was great, that's when he was at his best in my opinion, the beating he gave Snuka was priceless and so entertaining. I'll always remember when he took that fire extinguisher and turned it on Morton Downey Jr because he kept blowing smoke in his face. That was priceless.
OMG, I remeber that! That was classic! Piper was awesome.

Anthony1975

Registered Member
He was by far the best heel to ever step foot in the squared circle.

Have just found this on f4w

For fuck sake edit after edit but Dave Meltzer has spoken

by Dave Meltzer
Rumors floating around today regarding the health of Roddy Piper appear to be unfounded and while Piper has taken time off from all appearances due to doctor's orders, he is expected to start back on an appearence schedule at the end of the month.
According to Piper's agent, Noelle Kim, who talked with him yesterday, he is doing well. She said after the filming of a recent movie, he was told by doctors that he needed to take a break from acting and personal appearances and is taking the break.
"He does not have cancer," she said. "He's been going at it without a break since he was a teenager and the doctors told him that he needed a rest."
Piper suffered from Hodgkin's Lymphoma, diagnosed in 2006 after he was in great pain while wrestling on a WWE tour of Europe. He had beaten the cancer and had been doing acting gigs and personal appearances, and was traveling virtually every week until pulling out of his recent bookings.

Last edited: