Rotating toys?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Doc, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

How do you guys manage rotating out your kids' older toys?

I, personally, like to wait until the kid isn't playing with it anymore before I give it away or toss it.

2. knoxbox

knoxbox Registered Member

um havent come across this yet my son is just 1 yo... but i can tell you he got so much shit for xmas it wasn't even funny, and he's rather play with the box his diapers came in than any toy we bought him... i think i'll just collect mcdonalds toys all year for next xmas lol...

when it does come down to it, i'll probably do like you said just wait till i haven't seen him touch it or ask for it then get rid of it and if he ask for it after i got rid of it i'll tell him the puppies ate it or that he has to look for it.. then run to walmart and buy it again lol *eek* j/k.

3. Barbara

Barbara Ess Tii Eph Yu V.I.P. Lifetime

When we got a bit older my mother had made a rule at Christmas and our Birthdays that every time a new toy came into the house we had to get rid of one of our old ones. It leaves the choice up to your child at that point.

4. knoxbox

knoxbox Registered Member

that is very creative and intuitive... i like that i'll pass that on to my wife.

5. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I don't have my own kid, obviously, but my 2 year old nephew is over a lot and we have a lot of toys for him here. If there's a toy he doesn't play with for a while we just put it away and usually he forgets about it and never asks where it went, especially if there's something new for him to play with.

6. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

Um, so far we haven't thrown out any toys.
    Now I understand the total chaos in the girls' bedroom :lol:
    We keep all the toys in the cupboard either in a toy box or a drawer, and basically I suggest different toys they can play with every day so they won't get bored playing with the same thing over and over again.
    Perhaps though I should go through the toys and sort out what is needed and what can be put away for the next ones...

7. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

My kids ages are 2, 3.5 and 7...what the other outgrows, the other would find interesting. It's also funny how toys that no longer interest my younger kids would suddenly be interesting for my 7yo for another reason (like he's looking at it from a different point of view than when he was younger).

However, there's a point they're given toooooo many toys at a time. Our house looks like ToysRus sometimes. What I do is keep the newer toys. Let them play with just some of the toys until they don't seem to care about it anymore. And when they want a new toy, I give away some of the old toys (or throw them if they're not in good shape) especially if they're the ones which are high maintenance to pick up, haha.