• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Ronald Reagan, The Best?

Dabs

Registered Member
I came across this very interesting article and I thought it had some good memories and remarks concerning Reagan. He would be turning 100 years old this coming Sunday, February 6, if he were still alive. This article reads that a gallop poll states that Reagan was the best President we have had, tops over Lincoln and Kennedy even. Would you agree with that? The article also states some great things Reagan had achieved while he was in office, of course, that's what the ad was for I'm sure. But do you personally think he did a few, or many, bad things as well? Would Reagan be listed as one of your favorite Presidents?

Thinking About Ronald Reagan: On 100th Birthday, He's Remembered for Good Reason

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I don't see why Kennedy would be listed very high given his short time in office.

Personally I rank Washington the best we've had then would list presidents such as Jefferson, Lincoln, Truman, Teddy Roosevelt, John Adams...I would put Reagan somewhere in my top 10.

maat

Registered Member
I think Reagan had a little help due to Carter being considered one of the worse. During Carter, the country had lost its #1 status, the mood of the country was down and the middle east was making us look like idiots.

Reagan came in with a bold persona and brought back americas pride. His economic policies ended the oil crisis, he strenghtened the military, won the cold war and made americans believe we were the greatest country on earth.

What he did not do was promote fiscal responsibility. He expanded the EITC, reformed SS(as apposed to privitization) and ran up large debt.

There is no duobt that Reagan changed the mentality of the country, unfortunately, he did not implement much needed fiscal and social reforms.

japedol

Registered Member
Washington, Jefferson, Teddy and Truman are the best as far as I'm concerned. Reagan I'm not so sure about. It seems to me like he just ran up the debt and then was wrongly given credit for ending the cold war.

C-Mach

Registered Member
I honestly think that Ronald Reagan is the best president we've had so far. Reaganomics worked: Revenue flowing into government coffers doubled and the economy rebounded. However, he and the Congress spent more than they took in.

qweerblue

Registered Member
I honestly think that Ronald Reagan is the best president we've had so far. Reaganomics worked: Revenue flowing into government coffers doubled and the economy rebounded. However, he and the Congress spent more than they took in.
The national debt tripled under Reagan, there was a severe recession, real wages declined sharply, he oversaw a huge trade imbalance, and the gap between rich and poor exploded.

Also, in 1982, Reagan began the process of de-regulating the savings and loan industry. Seven years later, the S&L industry was on the receiving end of the largest bailout, up to that point, in history, with American taxpayers footing the bulk of the $160 billion tab.

What was that about Reaganomics working?

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
There was a severe recession? Real wages declines sharply? Are you joking?

In 8 years, hell in 4 hours, it's impossible to have a perfect presidency, there are going to be good and bad things in every single one. But let's at least be historically accurate.

qweerblue

Registered Member
There was a severe recession? Real wages declines sharply? Are you joking?

In 8 years, hell in 4 hours, it's impossible to have a perfect presidency, there are going to be good and bad things in every single one. But let's at least be historically accurate.
I'm not joking at all--I don't mean to be dense, but do people actually dispute any of this? Honestly, I thought it was an accepted fact--I believe I am being historically accurate, Cap.

HoustonChronicle.com - Reality behind lofty rhetoric on Reagan legacy

Reagan's Recession - Pew Research Center

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
First, I'm not really going to pay attention to an op-ed in the Houston Chronicle and instead base my opinion of Reagan's presidency on the numbers.

We have to remember he followed the four stooges of ecomic policy when he took office. When he took office he misery index (unemployment rate plus inflation) was at all-time high at 20.6. By the end of his presidency it had been cut in half, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

According to the Census Bureau, 2008 Statistical Abstract of the United States, Tables 670 and 671, real median household income rose by $4,000 in the Reagan years, from $37,000 to $41,000. The was a reversal of the Carter years where median family income fell by about $1,000.

According to the Cato institute by 1989, there were 5.9 million more Americans whose salaries exceeded $50,000 than there were in 1981 (when you adjust for inflation). There were 2.5 million more Americans earning more than $75,000, an 83% increase. And the number of Americans making less than $10,000/year fell by 3.4 million workers.

We have to give credit for his tax cuts leading to the internet boom due to increased investment. I also suspect many of those who refuse to give him credit for the end of the Cold War would feel differently if he had a (D) after his name.

As I said, no presidency is perfect, and I could point to many things that went wrong in every single administration. People seem to pick and choose what to highlight based on the president's political party. But I try to look at an admimistration in total, especially given what was handed to him. All in all I'd have to say it was an extremely successful administration given the four clowns who proceeded him and created an economic disaster, and how good things were when he left.