• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Romney's Hurricane Relief Rally

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
But the last-minute nature of the call for donations left some in the campaign concerned that they would end up with an empty truck. So the night before the event, campaign aides went to a local Wal Mart and spent $5,000 on granola bars, canned food, and diapers to put on display while they waited for donations to come in, according to one staffer. (The campaign confirmed that it “did donate supplies to the relief effort,” but would not specify how much it spent.)

Empty-handed supporters pled for entrance, with one woman asking, “What if we dropped off our donations up front?”The volunteer gestured toward a pile of groceries conveniently stacked near the candidate. “Just grab something,” he said.

Two teenage boys retrieved a jar of peanut butter each, and got in line. When it was their turn, they handed their “donations” to Romney. He took them, smiled, and offered an earnest “Thank you.”

Romney bought $5k of food for people to “donate” back to him at phony “hurricane” rally
I don't understand why he would use a tragedy for political gain like this. I would of thought a lot more of him if he had just made a direct donation to the Red Cross or organized something so people really could donate. He would of gotten coverage on it. I do hope the victims of this storm did get this stuff for real.

Here's another link on the same story.

The Making Of Romney's Storm Relief Event

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
First off, this is a blog, NOT a news article, so I question the "facts" depicted therein. Secondly, the Left's obsessiveness of Romney is pretty sick. If he didn't help, he's an uncaring rich guy. If he does help he's doing it for publicity. By the way, I find it funny the claim is made he's doing it for publicity when where is the "news" on this? All the news I've seen are actual pictures of him helping out and actual accounts of him helping. Thirdly, it took Obama over 7 days to visit Joplin after the tornados, never visited Texas during the fires last year, took two weeks to go the gulf during the oil spill, but was in NJ because of Sandy the next day....oh but there's an election next week, no wonder he was so quick.

And Fourthly this:

Mitt's Response to Hurricane Katrina - YouTube

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
There's an election next week I think is Romney's motive also. If he really wanted to help why didn't he just set up a fund raiser instead of a photo op.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Who says he didn't? And who says it was for a photo-op? An unknown blogger?

Shwa

V.I.P.
Something like this so late in the game should have been done beforehand, such as stock pile all the necessities like others have before and then distribute them when people were out of luck. It would have been a smarter route.

Hi's volunteers went and spent about 5K.....I'm sorry, isn't Romney a millionaire? Doesn't he rake in money just by events alone for his election and what not?

~Shwa

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
And I'll ask once again, who said he hasn't? Who said he hasn't given of his own money? Who said he hasn't given of his own time? Because someone else spent money he didn't? I'm seriously trying to comprehend the logic that is being applied here.