• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Rollerblading for exercise

Gigi

Hello all, I am trying to tone up my legs some and add some bulk and thought about taking up rollerblading or some form of skating. I used to rollerskate as a kid and teen, and i have a tendancy to break bones, lol. Does anyone have any tips on where to begin, what equipment is the best and provides the most safety; and also did anyone use this in addition to a training program (if so what were your results)?

ACCER

Registered Member
Those who are prone to breaking bones should use much padding and take care. Walking and running help with making the legs stronger.

tater03

Registered Member
Yes, I would strongly suggest using knee and elbow pads along with a helmet. If you have never rollerbladed before chances are you will take some falls. Better to be safe than sorry.

Gigi

Thanks for the advice, both of you! I am a year out of a spiral fracture of my right humerus, and have two torn rotator cuff muscles. I can't afford another big spill, but really am wanting to amp up my workouts somehow. I will have to think on this some more haha!

tater03

Registered Member
I would say give it a try. Aslong as you are not planning on doing any ramps or anything you should be fine. It really is easy to get the hang of.

ACCER

Registered Member
Gigi,
I know you....for Gods sake don't go alone or in the road. Go to a skate parke or rink. Someplace where you are more or less safe.

I'll never forget my mother thinking it would be fun to inline skate down the hill in front of our house...she was 60! Parents!

technoflutemom

Registered Member
If you want to bulk up your legs, rollerblading is a good way to do it. It does not produce slim, dancer muscles, but more powerful-looking thighs especially.

FourBear

I think rollerblading is one of the most fun forms of exercise, especially when you have someone going with you. There are nice paths at the river around here.

Gigi

Well, if I can be so blunt I'd like to really POW my bootie. And yes, I'd like the thighs to stop applauding when I sit down.

LOL Tater, dont worry about me using ramps. I might as well give you a sledge hammer and tell you to break some random bone on me, save me the trouble! ;)

technoflutemom

Registered Member
Well, if I can be so blunt I'd like to really POW my bootie. And yes, I'd like the thighs to stop applauding when I sit down.
Rollerblading should really tone them up. When I go steady, I can crush walnuts! I find myself keeping the thigh and butt muscles contracted all the time to help with balance.

Which means I can't walk the day after the first rollerblading of the season!