Roland Garros 2009

Discussion in 'Sports' started by ysabel, Jun 1, 2009.

1. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Anyone following this? It's ongoing (May 24 - June 7). Finals will be next weekend.

Rafael Nadal (last year's champion) has already been eliminated. Who do you think will win this year? Will it be finally Federer's time?

2. Millz

Millz Black 7! Staff Member V.I.P.

I'll put my money on Federer considering Nadal is history. I hope Andy Roddick can get far but I think he's gotta face Federer if he wins today. Should be interesting.

3. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

[​IMG]

This is the dude that defeated Nadal.

Robin Soderling caused one of the greatest upsets in Grand Slam history on Sunday afternoon when he blew away Rafael Nadal 6-2 6-7(2) 6-4 7-6(2).

Nadal’s hopes of becoming the first player, man or woman, to win the French Open five times in a row are gone, dashed as the scintillating Swede played the game of his life.

4. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

Amazing match, Nadal v Soderling. I didn't even plan to watch the tennis, i only went on to it because i was curious about BBC interactive (we've only just got sky digital :p) but i was glad i found it! Absolutely brilliant match.

No idea who's gonna win it this year. After Soderling's win, and general performance, it's really opened up the tournament. Has that sort of.... 'anything can happen' feeling!

5. Millz

Go Sweden! haha

I am actually kind of mad...I was hoping Federer would be the one to do it...end the 5 year streak since Nadal was the one who stopped Federer's Wimbeldon streak.

6. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

Oh and i can't believe Soderling through his racket into the crowd! If i beat Nadal at Roland Garros, i think i'd hold on to it as a souvenir! :p

7. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I know right?

Well whoever got the racket, I hope he's a big fan...or very business minded (waits for eBay auction).

For the women's tennis.... S. Williams passed her 4th round today.

8. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Federer won his match today in five sets. I think Federer must be releaved that Nadal was ousted so early. He knows that Nadal as own him in the past and I dont think he wanted to face him again in the Finals.

9. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Although it would have a been a sweeter victory for Federer if he'd have met Nadal in the finals and beat him. :)
    ------
    Robin Soderling (°23)put in a magnificent performance to beat Russian Nikolay Davydekno (°10) in the quarterfinals today. Roger Federer had a tougher time beating his own opponent, Tommy Haas, yesterday.

Women's Singles

Dinara Safina (°1) --- goes to show I haven't been following the ladies as I don't even know her much and she's seeded at the top, haha -- beat Victoria Azarenka (°9).

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  10. Millz

Roger Federer completed the career grand slam today but beating Soderling...I am really happy right now...quite the accomplishment.