• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

ROH/New Japan Pro-Wrestling thread

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
ROH/NJPW are pretty big brands right now, so I thought I would start it's own thread. Everything related to those promotions, please post in this thread.

When was the last time a wrestling company not owned by a McMahon ran MSG?

Last edited:

EdgeHead

Registered Member
That's a first. But clearly, WWE's bullying tactic of calling MSG and telling them to cancel ROH's date didn't work. And quite frankly, the worst ROH can be for Vince is a thorn to his side. They'll never be a threat for WWE. If anything, the more promotions like ROH & NJPW run bigger arenas, the higher exposure their top stars get. And the more valuable those guys are for Vince when comes time to go sign them. If anything, Vince should be thrilled about this.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
That's a first. But clearly, WWE's bullying tactic of calling MSG and telling them to cancel ROH's date didn't work. And quite frankly, the worst ROH can be for Vince is a thorn to his side. They'll never be a threat for WWE. If anything, the more promotions like ROH & NJPW run bigger arenas, the higher exposure their top stars get. And the more valuable those guys are for Vince when comes time to go sign them. If anything, Vince should be thrilled about this.
It will also be taken place during Mania weekend as well.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think its awesome they're running the garden on Mania weekend

Competition is good...even if its not legit competition. SOMETHING else is good.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Do you think we will ever see Omega and the Young Bucks in the WWE?

EdgeHead

Registered Member
If they do, I don't think it will be for financial reasons. Kenny Omega said himself recently that it would be a missed opportunity for him not to go to WWE if he gets a chance. As for the Young Bucks, they're money-making machines when it comes to their branding and such so in their case, I think it'd be a matter of getting the right schedule and I can't see WWE offering them a schedule that beats the one they currently have right now.

But honestly, my gut feeling tells me that they're gonna be a package deal. Much like how Vince got AJ Styles, Shinsuke Nakamura, Luke Gallows & Karl Anderson at the same time. If we wanna include Cody in there, I think he's the least likely to return to WWE simply because his stock in the indies is so high right now, especially in ROH. With his acting gigs as well, I don't think it's necessary for him to return at this point. The 2nd part of 2018 will be very telling about the future of The Elite.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
You know what would really juice their shirt sales? Spending a year or two with the WWE. I mean, the second they join the company, the WWE and them are gonna sell a shitload of shirts. It might then be a frustrating year for them creatively, but it's hard to believe that if you're competitive, you don't want to at least try out the biggest promotion.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I almost don't want them to go to the WWE...the WWE has so many damn wrestlers and you can't push everyone. But hell, it would be cool to see. So why not, go there and you can always go back to Japan eventually.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
To take with a grain of salt but there is some speculation that Sinclar Broadcasting - the owners of ROH - might have played a role in ROH getting to run MSG. Sinclair has many affiliations with local FOX syndicated programs and they *might* have threatened to not air Smackdown next year on their affiliates if WWE didn't let ROH run Madison Square Garden in April.

Again, to take with a grain of salt but this was reported on PWTorch....

EdgeHead

Registered Member
If you still doubted that Chris Jericho was the GOAT, he proved you wrong again tonight. Jericho's surprise appearance dressed as Pentagon Jr to attack Kenny Omega after the Omega/Pentagon had to probably be the OMG Moment of the year.

WE'RE GETTING ALPHA VS OMEGA 2 AT THE JERICHO CRUISE, MAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!