Rogers Hornsby

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Millz, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

Being a St Louis Cardinal fan of course I mention this man as one of the most underrated players in baseball history. Whenever people discuss the greats of the game, rarely do they mention this man's name. It's a shame if you ask me.

Rogers posted a career batting average of .358. He hit + .400 three seasons...

.401 in 1922
    .424 in 1924
    .403 in 1925

In 1922 he batted .401 like I menitoned, but also hit 42 homers and had 152 RBI's. He also stole 17 bases that season. That has to go down as one of the greatest seasons in MLB history. He had a career .434 OBP.

Anybody else have anything on Hornsby? I think he's way too overlooked as one of the greats of the game.

2. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

"I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher." - Hall of Famer Rogers Hornsby (2nd Overall Batting Average Leader)​

The highest batting average over four consecutive seasons (1922-1925) is .403 (.4039), set by Rogers Hornsby — who also set the record for highest batting average over five consecutive (1921-1925) seasons with .402 (.4024).

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/recbooks/rb_bavg1.shtml

3. Vegito728

Vegito728 Registered Member

This guy was a great player. His numbers were amazing and he seemed like a good guy. I do think he's overlooked he isn't talked about like some other players but he was an amazing player. And I love that quote Sui.

4. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

Thats the quote every batter should think when they step into the box.

5. Millz

6. SHOELESSJOE3

SHOELESSJOE3 Registered Member

I consider Hornsby as the greatest right handed hitter. Career batting average of. 358, for a right hander facing that far greater number of RH pitchers, off the chart.
    The only guy that was out slugging Hornsby in the 1920s decade happened to be the greatest slugger ever, Babe Ruth.

Some try to diminish Hornsby saying he played in a great hitters park. He did play in a hitters park but guess what his home and away batting averge was.

Home .359--- away .358.
    This guy could hit anywhere and he did. unheard of for a middle infielder to slug the way Hornsby did in those years. Middle infielders back then, their job was to get on base. This guy was slugging like the big boys in the outfield

7. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I agree that Rogers Hornsby is one of the greatest players of all time, but I disagree with you saying that he's overlooked. Everytime people mention greatest players, hitters of all time Hornsby is always in the top 10, sometimes in the top 5.

Rogers career didn't start off to well, he needed to gain weight, he only hit in the .230 the Cardinals almost released him, but they decided to keep him because they saw potential in him. So the Cardinals helped his straighten his stance and refine his swing. Then during the off-season he worked at his uncles farm and he gained an extra 25lbs, then there was no looking back afterwards.

He won the triple crown twice once in 1922 where he hit .401, 42 home runs and 142 rbi's. He also won the Triple Crown in 1925 he also won the MVP that year, his numbers were he hit .403, 39 home runs 143 rbi's. The funny thing about his 1922 season is that he didnt win the MVP the award went to George Sisler.

He had an outstanding career, and I also agree with Shoeless that he's the best RH batter to ever play the game.

8. Millz

I dunno MJ maybe it's just me but I never hear anybody mention Hornsby's name when mentioning the greats of all time. Whatever the case may be, he's one of the greatest players who ever lived.

9. Death Nails

Death Nails Guest

Frequently, I see guys like Aaron, Bonds, Mantle and Dimaggio ranked over Hornsby. What do you guys think?

10. Rapier

Rapier Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

Hornsby like Ty Cobb was kinda nasty and hard to get along with.
    He had outstanding years for 4 teams at a time when great stars were rarely traded. Also, the baseball community payed much less attention to stats beyond the basics. Even as late as Ted Williams the triple crown was not an automatic ticket to the MVP. Ted's two triple crowns and even his 400 season 1941 didn't get him the MVP.

Hornsby
    Awards
    1922-NL-Triple Crown
    1925-NL-MVP
    1925-NL-Triple Crown
    1929-NL-MVP

Williams
    Awards
    1941-ML-Major League Player of the Year
    1942-ML-Major League Player of the Year
    1942-AL-Triple Crown
    1946-AL-MVP