Rodriguez finalizes $275M deal

Vegito728

Registered Member
NEW YORK (AP) - Alex Rodriguez couldn't believe what was happening. He thought the New York Yankees didn't want him.

In revealing details of what led to him opting out of his contract with the Yankees, and of his subsequent phone call to Hank and Hal Steinbrenner to revive his career in pinstripes, Rodriguez criticized agent Scott Boras for misleading him.

A-Rod's deal, which allows him to earn as much as $305 million, broke the previous baseball record — set by his $252 million, 10-year contract with Texas in December 2000. Traded to the Yankees in 2004, he opted out of that deal Oct. 28, during the final game of the World Series.

After the opt out was announced, Yankees senior vice president Hank Steinbrenner said New York would not negotiate further with Rodriguez because his decision eliminated the $21.3 million subsidy the Yankees were to receive from Texas from 2008-10, a figure negotiated at the time of his trade.
But Rodriguez then approached the Yankees through a managing director at Goldman Sachs and negotiated his new deal in early November without Boras.
Rest of this story: FOX Sports on MSN - MLB - Rodriguez finalizes $275M deal

Last edited by a moderator:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I know this is a lot of money for one player, but A Rod is the best player in the Major Leagues, and yes grant it no baseball deserves this amount, but the Yankees have the money, and they offered him this so he would stay with them, so he did the right thing and accept the deal. The Yankees fan should be happy to have a player like A Rod, yes I know he hasn't performed well in the playoffs, but I believe that will change in the next few seasons.

if he remains with the team till he retires, and keeps the pace he's currently having, then he has a chance to become one of the best Yankee players of all time.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I'll bet it's more about wanting to keep A-Rod on the team to break the HR record, that way they can have a Yankee at the top of the HR list, again.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't think that's why the Yankees decided to re-sign Alex Rodriguez, they re-signed him because he's the best player in the Major Leagues, and they know what they're going to get with A Rod. Grant it that he has a chance to break the home run record has a member of the Yankees, and it's going to get them a lot a lot of publicity and money. But I doubt that's not the reason why they re-signed him.

dmny500

Registered Member
I just think it's getting out of hand. I know players that are very good are rare in all sports but professional sports are going to lose a lot of fans soon. It seems in a lot of cases certain players are just "money players". They play hard when they want that new contract but they don't care if they win or lose. I think the should get good money but anything over 10 million a year in any sport is just unnecessary.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
You have to understand that this sport makes a lot of money, and the Yankees revenue per year is unbelievable, the owners like George has the money, and need to spend money on players, yes I agree no player deserves this kind of money, but if they offer him this money then yes refuse it? He's the best player in the league, and plays well every season not just when he needs a new contract.