• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Rocky vs Rambo

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
In my opinion, Stallone has made some great movies, but he's known for portraying Rocky and Rambo. He's made six Rocky movies, and four Rambo movies.

In your opinion, which franchise do you prefer?

I have to go with Rocky. Rambo was really good, especially the first and last one, but I enjoyed all the Rocky movies.

I just believe Rocky was a better character overall, almost always an underdog and keeps fighting no matter what. Doesn't back up from nobody, even though some people never give him much chance to win. Also, Rocky 1 was an incredible story line, IMO. Even won best picture which is a pretty remarkable in it's own right.

Also, I'm a huge sucker for the training scenes and the bouts he has with Apollo Creed, Clubber Lang, Ivan Drago, Tommy Gunn and Mason Dixon.

One more thing, I loved the secondary characters such as Paulie, Duke, Mickey and of course Adrian.

Captain Moroni

I am a Rocky fanatic. Just saw a show last night called "the rocky saga" it was 90 minutes of awesome scenes, stories, and interviews from all the actors and producers.

Interesting facts, Susan Sarandon and Cher were both offered the Adrian role, but the budget couldn't afford them. Talia Shire was perfect the second Stallone saw her.

Paulie was a re-write into the script. Originally Adrian had an over bearing Jewish mother.

Ken Norton the boxer was first pick for Apollo but was too large. He made the 5'9" Stallone look too small. Joe Fraser who had a cameo in the movie was next but he hit too hard. Carl Wethers coming off an nfl career was the choice.

Rambo was awesome but Rocky....better.

Btw...."creed" is in the works. Stallone will return as a mentor to Apollo Creeds grandson.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Captain Moroni said:
I am a Rocky fanatic. Just saw a show last night called "the rocky saga" it was 90 minutes of awesome scenes, stories, and interviews from all the actors and producers.

Interesting facts, Susan Sarandon and Cher were both offered the Adrian role, but the budget couldn't afford them. Talia Shire was perfect the second Stallone saw her.

Paulie was a re-write into the script. Originally Adrian had an over bearing Jewish mother.

Ken Norton the boxer was first pick for Apollo but was too large. He made the 5'9" Stallone look too small. Joe Fraser who had a cameo in the movie was next but he hit too hard. Carl Wethers coming off an nfl career was the choice.

Rambo was awesome but Rocky....better.

Btw...."creed" is in the works. Stallone will return as a mentor to Apollo Creeds grandson.
Thanks for sharing that, CM. I knew about Ken Norton and Joe Fraser, but didn't know Fraser wasn't chosen because he hit too hard.

Also, "Creed" sounds pretty interesting. I'll definitely watch that. I do wonder who's going to portray Apolo's grandson. The guy who portrayed Jackie Robinson in 42 would be a solid choice...Anthony Mackie would be another solid choice.

BobbyD_29

Both original movies were excellent. The sequels were OK.

I didn't see any other Rambo movies, so I can't comment.

I thought the other Rocky movies were terrible.

Captain Moroni

Rocky V was not good at all. Even Stallone admits that. In the original script Rocky was supposed to die. The issue was that the climax of every movie was the boxing ring, in this movie the street fight sucked.

BobbyD_29 said:

Rocky III brought in over 300 million dollars, Rocky II over 240 million

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Captain Moroni said:
Rocky V was not good at all. Even Stallone admits that. In the original script Rocky was supposed to die. The issue was that the climax of every movie was the boxing ring, in this movie the street fight sucked.
I actually liked Rocky V. Mostly because of Tommy Gunn, but for the most part I found it pretty entertaining. I liked the emotions Rocky showed in his basement when Tommy was fighting, and the battle at the end was pretty cool. That said, Stallone would have to put on a real snoozer for me to hate anything involving Rocky Balboa.

Captain Moroni

Micheal B Jordan the actor is playing Creeds Grandson.
Stallone said he would do it only if Rocky was not the main character. The movie is about Creed.

Captain Moroni said:
Bizzy said:
Captain Moroni said:
I actually liked Rocky V. Mostly because of Tommy Gunn, but for the most part I found it pretty entertaining. I liked the emotions Rocky showed in his basement when Tommy was fighting, and the battle at the end was pretty cool. That said, Stallone would have to put on a real snoozer for me to hate anything involving Rocky Balboa.
I'm with you on that. But V was he worst of the franchise.

BobbyD_29

Captain Moroni said:

BobbyD_29 said:

Rocky III brought in over 300 million dollars, Rocky II over 240 million
Rocky II was decent.

Sabby

I'd have to go with Rocky, it's Iconic. Any charatcer that has its own statue in the city it was filmed in trumps everytime. Everything from the characters, to the music, to catch phrases from the Rocky series still resonate today. Rambo was still awesome, but Rocky is an icon.

Captain Moroni

Sabby said:
I'd have to go with Rocky, it's Iconic. Any charatcer that has its own statue in the city it was filmed in trumps everytime. Everything from the characters, to the music, to catch phrases from the Rocky series still resonate today. Rambo was still awesome, but Rocky is an icon.

Im sure the north Vietnamese refused to erect a statue of rambo