• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Rockstar's "L.A. Noire"

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.

L.A. Noire is an upcoming video game developed by Team Bondi and published by Rockstar Games. Initially announced as only for the PlayStation 3, the game was later reported to also be scheduled for release on the Xbox 360. L.A. Noire is set in "a perfectly re-created Los Angeles" of 1947, with players being given an open-ended challenge to solve a series of murder mysteries.

As the title suggests, the game draws heavily from both plot and aesthetic elements of film noir - stylistic films from the 1940s and 1950s that shared similar visual styles and themes including crime, sex and moral ambiguity and were often shot in black and white with harsh, low-key lighting. The game uses a distinctive colouring-style in homage to the visual style of film noir. The post-war setting is the backdrop for plot elements that reference the detective films of the '40s, such as corruption and drugs, with a classical jazz soundtrack.

L.A. Noire is also notable for using Lightsprint's real-time global illumination technology, as well as a newly developed piece of technology called MotionScan, where actors are recorded by 32 surrounding cameras to capture facial expressions from every angle.

The Game is expected to have a large amount of audio. Game Informer reported L.A. Noire to have over 20 hours of voice acting. Aaron Staton from Mad Men will lend his voice and likeness to the main character, Cole Phelps
YouTube - L.A Noire trailer HD (Full)

Rockstar Games Presents L.A. Noire

if you havent heard of this one... check it out. The Facial mapping is like nothing I've ever seen before. The Expressions... they're damn near movie quality. This Tech will push Rockstar ahead of all the other developers who havent used it already. This Tech IMO will be the next best thing since the Quake Engine.

You should really watch the trailer, I'm sure you'll be amazed.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I am impressed. I liked the trailer, I like the style. This have a release date yet? Another thing to add to the list of games I'll need to play.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I hate to be such a Gamer Sheeple for this one.... but c'mon man... its Rockstar. lol They are like the Blizzard of the Console World. They could put out a half decent game and still be a ton better than alot of the competing stuff.

This game has me interested... I wanna see more about it though. Because right now playing through Heavy Rain... I could get into another game like that. If Noire plays like Heavy Rain I think that could be a really winning combo.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Looks really intriguing, and I love the setting choice. It's going to be one of those games in which I'll be looking around for various reviews and feedback before making a decision.

Impact

V.I.P.
It looks like the kind of game that would hook me, so I'm keeping an eye on this. Roll on Spring 2011... And good to see it's being released for the 360 and not just a PS3 title

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
I have been waiting for this game ever since Rockstar made the announcement, in which it was over a year ago and after seeing video after video the game looks so much more amazing as time goes by. It also looks like it has the potential to become game of the year as well. Can't wait.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
This game has potential, but not necessarily the ability to be great.

Yes, it is Rockstar, and yes they make great games, but I just think that this game will not be as good as GTAIV and RDR. They have to reinvent the wheel if they want to make the "talk, drive, shoot" action less stale.

The graphics do look great though.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
Impressive. Whether it'll be a game to totally blow me away I don't know, but it'll certainly be worth a look I reckon. Will keep tabs on that, thanks for bringing it to our attention :)

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
Not to sound like a hater, but the game looks boring, and the super facial expressions only make it more dull imo.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Video Games 3
ExpectantlyIronic Video Games 3